Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > tractor with snowthrower for steep driveway

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
anabolicapple

tractor with snowthrower for steep driveway
Original Message   Nov 12, 2007 10:16 pm
Hi - I'm looking for advice on a tractor purchase with a snow thrower attachment. I have a long steep driveway: max incline is about 25 degrees, but probably average is about 10-15 degrees or so.  It's about 300 yards long and black-topped (smooth).

I was looking at getting a 26HP tractor with a 2 stage 46" snow thrower on the front, with chains/wheel weights and a sand spreader on the back.  But would that be enough power to be getting back up the driveway, even if I just used the thrower going downhill?  Any risk of it tipping at that angle?

Apologies if this is a basic question - I'm new to this business having just bought a new house.  I will also want to use the same tractor to do general yard work - mowing, vacuuming, etc.

Thanks in advance

James

Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
anabolicapple

Re: tractor with snowthrower for steep driveway
Reply #4   Nov 16, 2007 6:56 pm
thanks everyone for the advice.  I live in CT so normally get a few storms a year - nothing too dramatic - but I was just looking for a solution in case I wanted to do it myself.  Understood about traction - I actually have a snow blower now but don't fancy spending 4 hours clearing the drive! drive width is really about 15 feet or so and like I said, at least 300 yards but we have a large turning circle at the top of the drive plus then additional drive down into the garages.  This being our first winter - this ought to be fun!!
Gelid

Re: tractor with snowthrower for steep driveway
Reply #5   Nov 19, 2007 11:06 pm
Given the incline I think your best bet would be one of the larger tracked snowblowers rather than a tractor. For example the Honda HMS1336 has a 13hp 390cc engine solely dedicated to snow blowing, its tracks are powered by separate electric motors powered by an on-board generator. It has a 36-inch auger so it wouldn't take you 4 hours to clear your driveway, in fact it'd probably take you less time than with a tractor because on such a steep grade your tractor's wheels would likely skid (I know mine would) even with light loads which means a lot of reverse-forward thrusts, time and a fair amount of cussing in the process. A heavy tracked machine would be much less prone to skid due to better weigh distribution over the traction surface and rubber tracks won't leave marks on the blacktop as chained tractor wheels would. Believe it or not you can use that Honda to pull a car out of a snowbank, beats pushing by hand. The downside is that these machines cost as much as a large yard tractor and you still have to walk behind it even though little effort is required as it has computer-controlled differential traction for turning, unlike smaller tracked Hondas which work great but require considerable physical effort and a fair amount of practice to turn. I imagine a small bulldozer would not skid either and require even less effort than the big Honda but you would have little blacktop left comes spring.      

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
Replies: 4 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42