Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda Mower Help Needed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Malms7

Honda Mower Help Needed
Original Message   Nov 3, 2007 6:28 pm
Couple of questions on two different Honda lawnmowers:

1) HRA214, 2 speed shaft drive about 23 years old. This has been a great mower with minimal problems until this summer. I had to have a new ignition coil put in it as it wouldn't start or run. After that it was fine until today. For whatever reason when I was mowing the mower would self propel itself without me engaging the transmission. About 5 minutes into my job the mower just stopped. I tried to restart it, but the recoil won't budge. Pushing it into the garage I also noticed that the rear wheels lock up when trying to go backwards. Does this sound like an engine or tranny issue or other issue? I'm assuming a possible expensive repair to get it running again?

2) HR215 Master Series with 3 speed shaft drive about 12 years old. Finishing up the job today with this mower when I noticed quite a bit of oil on the deck of the mower. Stopped it and it appears to be coming from the top left (carburator side) of the engine somewhere. Gasket? Worth having someone look at it?

I ended up putting more money into the HRA214 with the ignition coil than I really cared to do and really don't want to put much money into either so if these sound like expensive repairs please let me know. Appreciate the help and advice.

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Honda Mower Help Needed
Reply #1   Nov 6, 2007 8:52 am
I'm not familiar with either machine.

The first one sounds like either the transmission is locked up and is stopping the engine from turning over. If so clear the blockage and away you go. Either that or the engine is seized. Could be a big problem could be something small, you need to investigate more. The second engine sounds like a gasket problem. If you replace it yourself its probably a good learning experience and you may have to buy a new tool ( torque wrench). Check out the local library to see if they have anything on small engine repair.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42