Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens snowblower ST5524E

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Plinth99

Ariens snowblower ST5524E
Original Message   Oct 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Here is the problem:

My snowblower is a year old and used once. I have gas in it, oil in it, I am getting a spark but it won't come close to turning over. I've tried both the electric starter and the pull cord as well, again, it won't turn over. Any thoughts and ideas? I need help before the snow comes. Thank you in advance

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Re: Ariens snowblower ST5524E
Reply #1   Oct 22, 2007 10:10 pm
1) Are you using fresh gas? If it is last years gas, it is stale and your carb is probably gummed up and has to be cleaned out.

2) If the gas is fresh, did you open the gas shutoff valve?
nibbler

Re: Ariens snowblower ST5524E
Reply #2   Oct 23, 2007 9:03 am
By turn-over do you really mean turn over, I.E. the engine parts move ( flywheel "turns over") or do you mean the engine won't start up when you turn it over?

If it won't turn over then your engine is seized and needs t either be rebuilt or replaced.

If it won't start then you need to figure out which of the "big three" isn't happening

1. Air - Carburetor and air filter clean, compression OK;
  2. Spark - You've already checked this and it appears to be OK; and
  3. Fuel - fresh gas, fuel line clear, spark plug will look wet, you can also smell it.

If you let the engine sit for months with fuel in it that wasn't stabilized then the carburetor is probably gummed up and needs to either be cleaned or rebuilt. Some people have reported success with the carburetor cleaning solutions that you dump in the gas tank. Others have taken the carburetor apart, soaked it in cleaner and then reassembled it, sometimes with new parts, sometimes with the original parts.

I would guess the carburetor needs cleaning. End of season maintenance is the thing most people don't do, they just put the OPE away and expect it to work months later.

Good luck.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42