Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Yard Machines (MTD) 8HP, 26" Thrower - starter won't engage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Kgun

Yard Machines (MTD) 8HP, 26" Thrower - starter won't engage
Original Message   Oct 22, 2007 7:43 pm
Yard Machines (MTD) 8HP, 26" Thrower - starter won't engage after two seasons ~ 8 snows. What else can I expect

Thanks in advance

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Yard Machines (MTD) 8HP, 26" Thrower - starter won't engage
Reply #1   Oct 23, 2007 9:10 am
Check that the starter motor bolts are still tight, if they aren't the misalignment can cause jamming and broken mounting holes.

If the starter won't turn over at all then you may have burned it out. Most manuals say you should let the starter cool for 5-10 minutes after 1 minute of continuous cranking. Two 30 second bursts close together does not get you off the hook. Basically the starter is an electric motor that is being over driven and it heats up. If you don't allow it to cool then the windings and their insulation melt. I have a hunch there is a lot of leeway in the 1 minute rule but I wouldn't push it. If the engine won't start with even 20 seconds of cranking then something else is probably wrong.
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42