Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Yard King Snow Blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ZTRIPP

Yard King Snow Blower
Original Message   Oct 20, 2007 10:37 pm
Hello everyone, great forum here.

I am looking to buy a used snow blower. I have found a Yard Kind on Craigs list. I think it is model 633126X4.  I know it is 12 HP w/ 33" cut. The photos show it being grey in color. Anyone know anything about this snowblower?

Also, I have a steep driveway, would tracks be better? I heard tracks don't turn well and make the snow blower more difficult to move when off, is this correct?

Zach.

Here is a link: http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/454138900.html

This message was modified Oct 20, 2007 by ZTRIPP
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Yard King Snow Blower
Reply #1   Oct 22, 2007 11:17 am
I don't know anything about the particular unit, Yard King is considered a generic manufacturer whose name doesn't get associated with the top tier manufacturers ( <flameprotection> Ariens, Honda, Simplicity</flameprotection> ).

I have never used one but have read about them a fair amount.

Your questions about tracked units can be answered with "It Depends"

The first thing to realize about tracks is that they have very good traction ( its why people  buy them). This means that if the transmission locks the two tracks together then it will be really hard to turn since the tracks don't slip as easily as wheels.

Some manufactures don't design their transmissions to make it easy to turn, others do.

Honda has one unit that uses electric motors to drive the tracks and a joystick to steer with, I would guess its practically impossible to turn with the power off but a dream when the power is on. As I understand it all of the other tracked Honda units have locked tracks. There have been a number of posting by Honda owners that tend to be quite positive and most members here seem to feel that the quality of the engines and blowers is top notch but very expensive.

Ariens has just come out with a line of tracked blowers, they are designed for the commercial market and have differentials that should make them relatively easy to turn with or without power. Note I said relatively, you are still pushing a heavy duty machine around, if you have no power  then its still going to take some effort.

I haven't heard anything about other manufacturer's but it would be the top thing I would check for.

The point I'm making is that ease of turning and use varies from manufacturer to manufacturer so you need to kick the treads and try them out. A tracked unit is inherently heavier and "sticks to the ground" better than a wheeled unit that means it will be less maneuverable but be much better going up and down really steep icy hills.

Final thought on tracked units is a story a friend of mine told me years ago, I don't know if its true but it is good. His brother had a neighbour who decided to use a small D3 bull dozer to clear some snow, it was going great, the hill was still icy but all the snow was gone. He was just below the top of the hill, facing down when he decided to call it quits for the day and started to turn around. Once he was sideways to the slope of the hill he discovered that the tracks were now acting as skates and he was accelerating down the hill. He didn't hit anything that could be hurt, he was OK and the dozer was fine. He was a lot more careful turning around on ice from that point forward.
mech12

Re: Yard King Snow Blower
Reply #2   Oct 22, 2007 5:21 pm
  that unit is made by murray.  i would contact you local murray/briggs and stratton dealer to see if any tractor parts are still available.   just in case.  murray went under in about 2004.  briggs bought them and now handle the parts.   parts manufactured proir to 2004 are basically first come.  the faster moving parts they kept in production, others were left behind.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42