Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > More newbie questions

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rthompson10

More newbie questions
Original Message   Oct 12, 2007 4:21 pm
Ok, now I'm into analysis paralysis:

Understand the gearbox issue- not sure what Toro has a a gearbox- anyone?

Impeller size: Ariens 14" versus Simplicity 12"-Impact?

Impeller blades: Ariens 3 versus Simplicity 4; Impact?

Toro: No shear pins- don't understand how they can do that? obviously not an engineer?

Tecumseh versus B & S: Sounds like a tossup- more torque on B &S, less noise?

THanks

RT

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Snowmann

Re: More newbie questions
Reply #1   Oct 12, 2007 10:02 pm
rthompson10 wrote:
Ok, now I'm into analysis paralysis:

Understand the gearbox issue- not sure what Toro has a a gearbox- anyone?

Impeller size: Ariens 14" versus Simplicity 12"-Impact?

Impeller blades: Ariens 3 versus Simplicity 4; Impact?

Toro: No shear pins- don't understand how they can do that? obviously not an engineer?

Tecumseh versus B & S: Sounds like a tossup- more torque on B &S, less noise?

THanks

RT

As I posted earlier, no shear pins is bad idea. The Toro box is a good one, but no better than the Ariens or Simplicity (and those have shear pins). It has an induction case hardened worm shaft and carbon nitride hardened sintered steel helical gear (worm gear would have been a better choice). The Ariens uses an nickel/molybdemum alloy steel worm gear w/hunting tooth design and cold work hardened high carbon worm shaft. Simplicity uses a bronze worm gear (not sure about the shaft). These are all pretty good.

A 14" impeller has a much higher capacity and throwing distance when mated properly with other high flow design elements. Front page of Ariens.com shows a Simplicity and Cub Cadet versus an Ariens (Simplcity in the middle). No confusion on performance, the Ariens is clearly superior. The associated video is on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmmICPz2Jt4

Briggs, much lower noise (50%), a bit less vibration (except the counterbalanced Tecumseh 13hp). That's about it.
EdwardoKarochio

Reply #2   Oct 13, 2007 6:19 pm
I have my doubts about how "scientific" the comparison between the three snowthrowers shown on the Ariens website is.  So we know the brands, do we know which models, engine HP, engine speed, travel speed, chute angle.  Also the Ariens appears to be starting closer to the camera which will give the impression of added distance.   Add me to the newbee list but I just didn't think the video is a fair comparison.
nibbler

Reply #3   Oct 14, 2007 9:20 pm
Assuming both impellers turn at the same RPM and have the same depth then the larger diameter impeller will have about 36% more capacity and eject the snow at about 17% higher speed.

I suspect that there is essentially no difference between 3 and 4 blades.

B&S comes in OHV, Tecumseh is either "L-Head" of OHV. OHV supposedly has more torque than "L-Head". OHV is also supposed to be less noisy. From what Snowman has said the B&S OHV make 50% less noise than the Tecumseh OHV, I think.

Hey Snowman - How can you be 50% quieter? Quiet is no noise, 50% of no noise is still no noise.
This message was modified Oct 14, 2007 by nibbler
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42