Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Just bought a used Ariens ST524, maintenance advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jerm

Just bought a used Ariens ST524, maintenance advice
Original Message   Sep 18, 2007 7:13 am
Hi all!

I purchased a used Ariens 5hp 2 stage ST524 blower from a rummage sale for $100 this weekend. Starts right up on the first pull. It wasn't the first owner, guy said he thinks it's 10 years old. There's a little rust which I'll take care of when I strip and repaint it. Is there any preventative maintenance I should do now besides oil and spark plug? Any belts or pieces I should replace since it's pretty old? I've heard I should just get an extra shear bolt. I'm a total newbie when it comes to snowblowers (never even started one up till I was looking at this one) but am mechanically inclined so I'm pretty excited to tear this thing apart and a put it back together. I do have the owners manual, parts manual, and service manual in pdf format to read through also.

Thanks!

This message was modified Sep 18, 2007 by jerm
Replies: 3 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jerm

Re: Just bought a used Ariens ST524, maintenance advice
Reply #3   Sep 19, 2007 12:24 pm
Thanks so much for that check list!!!  Great advice.  I plan on taking her a part this weekend for a tuneup and will be using this method to remove all the rust:  http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/electrolyticrust.html

Then a fresh coat a primer and paint and it'll be good as new!

nibbler

Re: Just bought a used Ariens ST524, maintenance advice
Reply #4   Sep 20, 2007 11:06 pm
What are you going to use as a tub? Looks like a small swimming pool with high sides would be needed.
Replies: 3 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42