Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Just bought a used Ariens ST524, maintenance advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jerm

Just bought a used Ariens ST524, maintenance advice
Original Message   Sep 18, 2007 7:13 am
Hi all!

I purchased a used Ariens 5hp 2 stage ST524 blower from a rummage sale for $100 this weekend. Starts right up on the first pull. It wasn't the first owner, guy said he thinks it's 10 years old. There's a little rust which I'll take care of when I strip and repaint it. Is there any preventative maintenance I should do now besides oil and spark plug? Any belts or pieces I should replace since it's pretty old? I've heard I should just get an extra shear bolt. I'm a total newbie when it comes to snowblowers (never even started one up till I was looking at this one) but am mechanically inclined so I'm pretty excited to tear this thing apart and a put it back together. I do have the owners manual, parts manual, and service manual in pdf format to read through also.

Thanks!

This message was modified Sep 18, 2007 by jerm
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Moderator Denis

Re: Just bought a used Ariens ST524, maintenance advice
Reply #1   Sep 18, 2007 11:28 pm
jerm wrote:
Hi all!

I purchased a used Ariens 5hp 2 stage ST524 blower from a rummage sale for $100 this weekend. Starts right up on the first pull. It wasn't the first owner, guy said he thinks it's 10 years old. There's a little rust which I'll take care of when I strip and repaint it. Is there any preventative maintenance I should do now besides oil and spark plug? Any belts or pieces I should replace since it's pretty old? I've heard I should just get an extra shear bolt. I'm a total newbie when it comes to snowblowers (never even started one up till I was looking at this one) but am mechanically inclined so I'm pretty excited to tear this thing apart and a put it back together. I do have the owners manual, parts manual, and service manual in pdf format to read through also.

Thanks!

Dont forget to grease zerks on the auger rake to prevent rust because, if one day you have to remove them for servicing ,you'll be happy not to heat or cut them to remove.

nibbler

Reply #2   Sep 19, 2007 8:31 am
Go here, select the "Order Onser's Manual" tab and either look at the online manual or order a paper one.

Typical things to do:

1. Drain gas tank and put in fresh gas when you are ready to actually use the unit.
  2. Change the oil
  3. Check the belts and possibly replace them. Have a spare set. Its better to learn how to do this when your hands are not freezing.
  4. Grease the auger rake axle ( the thing at the front that scoops in the snow.
  5. Check the skids and adjust their height. Asphalt is 1/8" to 1/4" , gravel is higher.
  6. Check the shear bolts that hold the auger rakes on the auger drive shaft and keep a few spares on hand;
  7. Get some spare lock pins for the wheels. These lock the wheels to the axles, I generally shear a few each winter;
  8. Check the air pressure in the tires;
  9. Check and adjust any control linkages;
  10. New Spark plug;
  11. Find and/or replace the ignition key, have a spare handy;
  12. Check for loose bolts/nuts/fasteners and tighten as necessary;
  13. If it has a light get a spare bulb;
  14. If it has drift cutters loosen the bolts make sure they aren't corroded, if they are replace them, if they aren't then grease and replace.
  15. If you don't have a chute clearing device and holder get one of each and attach it. You use this thing to clear clogs out of the impeller and chute instead of putting body parts inside;
  16. At the start of the season make sure you have a suitably sized gas can with fresh gas in it, Stabil or Pri-G gas stabilizer is also a good idea. The amount of gas should be enough to last at least one snow storm and preferably longer. If you have any left at the end of the season use it in the lawn mower or throw it in the car/truck/vehicle of choice.
  17. Have fun.
jerm

Reply #3   Sep 19, 2007 12:24 pm
Thanks so much for that check list!!!  Great advice.  I plan on taking her a part this weekend for a tuneup and will be using this method to remove all the rust:  http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/electrolyticrust.html

Then a fresh coat a primer and paint and it'll be good as new!

nibbler

Reply #4   Sep 20, 2007 11:06 pm
What are you going to use as a tub? Looks like a small swimming pool with high sides would be needed.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42