Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > riding mower engine problem.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
shawn440

riding mower engine problem.
Original Message   Oct 21, 2006 10:50 am
i have aToro LX 420 riding mower and i have a Courage 18 hp Kohler engine and when i go to start it  i turn it over and it doesn't start the starter just whines i stop then try later then sometimes it startes but most of the time it doesn't start. but if i get it started it runs werid like iit's misfireing or skipping i don't no i really need help. this mower was just bought in this year in june . i need some help on what too do .
Replies: 8 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
joeb

Re: riding mower engine problem.
Reply #8   Jul 14, 2007 12:34 pm
I had the same exact problem with my toro lx420. I rented a truck and took it to the authorized dealer. He said the battery was low and there is a fuse he showed me (inline fuse) on the firewall.  It is a 20amp fuse. I had the same situation where the starter kept going and I had to scramble to find the tools to undo battery cables.
kohala61

Reply #9   Feb 26, 2010 7:56 pm
I bought my lx420 from HD two years ago and it has been running fine until couple days ago.  It cranks and won't start like it is not getting a spark of fuel. I have replaced the spark plug and fuel filter and it still doesn't start.  It also has a new battery.  I removed the air filter and sprayed ether in the carbuerator--it fires up right away but dies when after the ether burns out.  I suspect the carburator but would like any solutions before rebuilding or buying a new carb...
thanks, joe
FlyOver

Reply #10   Sep 29, 2010 1:06 pm
For any genius out there.
  • Kohler Courage 18
  • Just started it, moved it from the garage, turned it off.  When back to restart and...
  • Will not start or even turn over.  
  • Starter/ Solenoid clicks (with a small whistle)
  • Starter will not turn.
  • Disconnected cable connects at battery, at selanoid, at starter.  Cleaned with steel wool.  The machine is three yrs old so most connections were not "dirty".
  • Reconnected  - same result.  Clicks and a light whistle.
  • Cross over the two poles on the switch/solenoid,  small amount of sparks arrupted (as expected) but the starter did not turn over.
  • I sat on the seat to depress the safety switch.  I set the brake.  I engaged and released the blade pto.  
  • Still, only clicks.
  • Does anyone know what is happening?  
  • Is it a starter problem?  A solenoid problem?  Is the dang engine locked up?
Replies: 8 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42