Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Front mounted snow blower for craftsman 5000---27 HP tractor

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
2dogs

Front mounted snow blower for craftsman 5000---27 HP tractor
Original Message   Jun 22, 2007 9:48 pm
Does anyone on here have any experience with the front blower on a tractor?

I am thinking of getting one for my tractor and would like to know if it is better

than a regular walk behind type....How do they work off the electric mower switch

or another method? Thanks for all replys

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Front mounted snow blower for craftsman 5000---27 HP tractor
Reply #1   Jun 23, 2007 10:48 am
I've never used one but previous discussion here centred around the weight of the blower making the front end of the tractor heavy and unbalanced. I have seen some in use and they seemed to work fine. Maneuverability might be a problem if you have a lot of turns, they are kind of long too. I would hope that the blower gets its power from a PTO ( power take off) on the motor rather than hooking into the electrical system. The electrical system is for keeping the battery charged and the lights running. Supplying a big electric motor is in heavy duty generator territory.
2dogs

Reply #2   Jun 23, 2007 11:01 am
I plan to use rear wheel weights as well..It must be a belt drive system that runs off the same pully that ran the mower..or something like that...I am courious as to if the system is better than a walk behind modle..I have a long drive with only one turn..My main concern is at the end of the drive where I get 5 foot of snow left by the plow truck..There is no way I could clean it out with a plow on the tractor....
nibbler

Reply #3   Jun 25, 2007 10:00 am
I do a lot of short driveways so maneuverability and speed are high on my list of "must haves". The only other thing that occurs to me is that a tractor based unit is fairly long so it won't turn on a dime. That could be a problem if you want to clear right up to a closed garage door. Other than that and given the 5' EOD it sounds like it would be a good fit. 27HP also sounds like you wouldn't be hurting for power.

I'm surprised there aren't more comments in this thread. Perhaps there are some garden tractor forums around that might garner more comments.

NOTE:  I've never used a tractor based unit. The last one I saw running was throwing the 12-14" fluffy snow a good distance.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42