Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Sno-Thro auger gearcase lube

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
robert

Ariens Sno-Thro auger gearcase lube
Original Message   Jun 4, 2007 12:54 pm
Does anyone know what the original lube was for an auger gearcase from an  Ariens Sno-Thro 924050  serial 080582  (ST824)? I believe everything was changed  to L-2  (90 gear lube). I have a leak and was wondering if 00 grease would be alright if that was the original lube?
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Moderator Denis

Re: Ariens Sno-Thro auger gearcase lube
Reply #1   Jun 4, 2007 2:50 pm
Robert

Dont worry about a leak in the gearcase in the summer! soon as the cold weather will be back the oil will come thicker and stop the leak. Make sure there enough oil in the case. If your leak doesnt stop in the winter, you may have to dissamble the gearcase and change the gasket.

Good Luck

Snowmann

Reply #2   Jun 14, 2007 10:04 am
AW00 grease was your original lube. It's likely you cannot convert yours over to L2 gear oil or you might spring a leak (that might be what you did). Your gear case uses a gasket that may not be up to sealing gear oil. When the switch was made to L2 that gasket was removed in favor of Loctite 518 flange sealant.

PK

mech12

Reply #3   Jun 14, 2007 4:22 pm
    go to your local tecumseh dealer and get tranny lube called  bentonite.  this stuff is great.  its clay based which means it actually stick to the gears.  where as the oo  and 90w  lube is liquid to offer a splash type lubricating system.  we use this bentonite in tractor trannies, auger gearboxes,  ice auger gearcase,  self propel mower gearcases.
srgallan

Reply #4   Sep 14, 2008 7:14 pm
I just purchased a 927 LE and started it up for the first time yesterday, today I had someone come over and help me with it since I could not see the Impeller/auger when operating from the rear.  When we engaged the impeller up close we could hear this rythmic metalic grinding almost as if I was missing a bearing or something was off.  It was very much like a lopsided wheel scrapping against metal, we then verified the gear case which according to the manual oil should be filled to the bottom of the bunk and be visible.  We did not see any oil in it so I am going to pick some up tomorrow, is that noise normal?  I am going to see if adding new gear case oil will resolve the issue.
Snowmann

Reply #5   Sep 16, 2008 9:34 pm
Check the gearcase oil, then pop the belt cover, check the belts, pulleys, and impeller shaft bearing. Also check the dual pulley alignment; make sure it's not interfering with anything.

PK
srgallan

Reply #6   Sep 18, 2008 5:29 pm
Thanks Snowmann, I'll check it out.  Finally found some gear oil for it so I will give it a go this weekend.
mkd55

Reply #7   Sep 18, 2008 9:31 pm
robert. you can also pick up the bentonite or clay base grease at a john deeler impliment dealer.it's the grease they use for the combine heads . i have a 1986 8 hp ariens 924 and when i finally checked the auger it was close to being dry. put lower gear lube for an outboard in it and it leaked everywhere. went and got the stuff from john deere now it's good to go.was also told the lube they use for chain saw bar  tip sprockets is the same stuff. .
This message was modified Sep 18, 2008 by mkd55
srgallan

Reply #8   Sep 19, 2008 4:32 pm
Well I took a look and everything seems to be fine, it's a slow rotating noise and you only hear it when your leaning towards the bucket if someone else is running the impeller.  It's a rythmic noise to the speed of the auger rotation so I am assuming something with the gearcase or auger itself?  It would almost sound like the auger scraping against the bucket but no marks are left behind, not sure what the problem is if there is an issue.

SRG
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42