Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Old yellow & white Craftsman 3.7A chainsaw Info

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
clarky

Out with the new in with the old !

Old yellow & white Craftsman 3.7A chainsaw Info
Original Message   May 28, 2007 10:41 am
I found an old Craftsman 3.7A chainsaw for free at the end of a driveway yesterday. I felt it had tremendous compression so I loaded it for home. I did a lot of cleaning up on it this morning and found some info under (what was left of) the air cover. It said model no. 917,315472 with 17" bar and chain, Serial no. 0013264. Sears Roebuck and Co. I removed the muffler and found that the piston and jug were score free, manual oiler worked great, and it had a tillotson toledo carb. This saw is yellow with a white recoil and air cover, and with a black bar cover. Some questions I had were, who manufactured this saw for Sears? I believe it's a 59cc motor. Also, are there manuals out there? and a way to find out the age of this saw? I am a Homelite collector and have several 50's thru 60's saws and I'm not familiar with the Craftsman line. It would be a shame to let this saw end up in a dump, so I'm going to see what I can do to revive it, as I believe it wouldn't be more the a carb kit and fuel lines if that. I would also be interested in an air cleaner cover for this saw if someone had one to sell. I dont understand why this was the only plastic part on this saw as everything else was magnesium. Any help from you out there would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. Tyler
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
joe_in_ma

Re: Old yellow & white Craftsman 3.7A chainsaw Info
Reply #1   Jun 29, 2007 2:46 pm
Saw was probably made by Roper. I have acouple of blue and white ones (one with the Power Sharp feature). All my air filter covers are broken. I made up a new one out of some sheet aluminum. They pop up on E-Bay as well as parts. I got new air filter here: http://www.mfgsupply.com/ChainsawCarbRoper.html/mv_session_id=4i2wmpDh

Kind of like the Homey XL12/SXL saws in poer and appearance.

joshmech90

everything needs more power and nothing is powerful enough

Reply #2   Jul 5, 2007 10:13 pm
you may already know this but if you have model number you can go to google and type in crasfman 3.7a and the complete model number and find out a lot more

down with flatheads so we can finally get out of last century and welcome in the new age of OHV/OHC motors who are supirior in al ways!
AlbertWesker1971

Reply #3   Nov 10, 2009 12:40 pm
hey clarky ive got a craftsman 3.7A automatic oiler chainsaw. very similar to if not the same thing you have. the problem with it is it just doesnt want to start!the compression is fine and carbuerator is clean. only problem is gas lines need replaced, and the only way to do that is to open it up and i cant figure out how to do that.think you can help me out here?
friiy

Reply #4   Nov 10, 2009 1:30 pm
It takes about 16 inches of fuel line to change 8 inches needed...This doesn't work for molded lines with built on grommets..

1) Split the new fuel line in half about 6 inches down the fuel tube on one end, taper the cut and remove one half of the split...

2) Remove the old fuel line fome the saw, pulling it out with needle nose pliers or such..

3) From the carb side of the fuel line, feed the narrow split end of the fuel line into the fuel line hole..

4) Through the fuel tank cap hole gently grab and pull the fuel line tough to the desired length.

5) Trim the split section of fuel line off

6) Install filter on end of line and reattach other end of line to carb..

Good Luck,

Friiy

If this is not going to work, post some pictures and the model numbers off the saw
This message was modified Nov 10, 2009 by friiy
AlbertWesker1971

Reply #5   Nov 13, 2009 10:44 am
thankyou Friiy. think i'll take a look at that this weekend. also for diagrams of the 3.7A look around on the craftsman home page for diagrams of appliances. they have a diagram of the chainsaw but i cant remember where to go on the site. i think you go to parts and accesories at the bottom of the page then on the sears homepage go to parts direct and type in your model number or part number.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42