Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I am torn between 2 mowers.....

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cloud9respect

I am torn between 2 mowers.....
Original Message   May 21, 2007 2:39 pm
OK, here is my story.
I bought a house last year that sits on an acre of land.
On that 1 acre, I have about 30 trees and so many hill that it took 6 tons of sand just to level out a place in my back yard for an above ground 16' box pool!
When I bought the house, it came with a 3yr old craftsman riding mower.
That mower always scalped my yard, even on the highest setting and after getting new blades.
So I sold it.  I have been push mowing the acre ever since.
Problem is, it really is no fun push mowing without any self-propelled mower.

So I am going to purchase either a Toro 20055 self propelled SR4 mower, or a Lawn Boy Insight Platinum 10795.
Here are the things I am not sure about:
1.) I will mulch EVERYTHING, and I need to know if the SR4 works better then the Lawn Boy at doing this.
2.) How powerful is the personal pace RWD on the 20055?  I need some massive power.
3.) Which mower will I still be most happy with in 3 years?

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Also, if you want me to look at another mower, let me know which one.  But my budget is $500-$550.

Thanks.
This message was modified May 21, 2007 by cloud9respect
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
linux_guy

Re: I am torn between 2 mowers.....
Reply #1   May 22, 2007 3:37 pm
I own a Toro 20056.  Very poor as a bagger.  Also, after one year, I had to get the Personal Pace transmission adjusted.  Not covered under warranty.  Cost me $20 and had to wait 4 weeks.  They said 400 lawn mowers were ahead of me to be repaired.  Finally got it back yesterday.  400 lawn mowers to be repaired at the beginning of the season?  That might tell you something.  Also, what do you do when the mower is in the shop for 4 weeks? 
nibbler

Reply #2   May 24, 2007 10:49 pm

linux_guy wrote:
I own a Toro 20056.  Very poor as a bagger.  Also, after one year, I had to get the Personal Pace transmission adjusted.  Not covered under warranty.  Cost me $20 and had to wait 4 weeks.  They said 400 lawn mowers were ahead of me to be repaired.  Finally got it back yesterday.  400 lawn mowers to be repaired at the beginning of the season?  That might tell you something.  Also, what do you do when the mower is in the shop for 4 weeks? 

1. Tells me about 400 people didn't do their end of season maintenance last year; and
  2. You sit back watch and sweat cause you know its got to be cut sometime.
joshmech90

everything needs more power and nothing is powerful enough

Reply #3   Jul 6, 2007 12:25 am
id forget them both and go with a honda. the base three speed can carry itself pretty well and honda has a great  record. for making quality equipment. notice there are not 400 hondas waiting ot have thier transmissions serviced.  plus you can get it for around $500 and it has great bagging abilities. the quadracut system cuts it up small and if you want to much it comes with a plug to do that with. i am very satisifed and i am saving money on gas compared to any flathead!
This message was modified Jul 6, 2007 by joshmech90

down with flatheads so we can finally get out of last century and welcome in the new age of OHV/OHC motors who are supirior in al ways!
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #4   Jul 6, 2007 7:36 pm
id also get the honda,my neighbor has one and its really nice,have heard only bad about the toro,not too sure about lawnboy,hope it helps

joshmech90

Reply #5   Jul 9, 2007 12:16 am
the lawnboy is just a green toro. same quality9 or lact therof) i personally own the honda and i tell you they are powerful machines that just dont give up. plus they retain thier value quite well. they also have easier matinece schedules( change oil every 55 hours rather than every 40)
This message was modified Jul 9, 2007 by joshmech90

down with flatheads so we can finally get out of last century and welcome in the new age of OHV/OHC motors who are supirior in al ways!
hunting158

Reply #6   Jul 10, 2007 7:49 am
So what did you end up buying and how do you like it?

As far as your original Ride On goes sounds to me as though it might have needed some further adjustments or you lawn is very rough.

I owned one of those machines and never experienced that problem.

joshmech90

Reply #7   Jul 10, 2007 5:51 pm
i have noticed that all the new mowers are being given factory cutting heights that seem to scalp your lawn anyway. the lowest setting on the honda will almost start rototilling. its crazy and there is no reason for it. the craftsman should have worked fine with a little ajustment9 udefinatly under $500) but i as well would be curious as to what you purchased

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42