Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman lawn tractor - hydrostatic transmission

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
texastrees

Craftsman lawn tractor - hydrostatic transmission
Original Message   Mar 30, 2007 2:04 pm
I just purchased a Craftsman lawn tractor with a hydrostatic transmission.  I did purchase it from a neighbor that recently moved.  The mower is a little over a year old, but I'm having transmission problems.  It cranks up fine, but when I let go of the clutch, there's no forward or backward movement.  I've used it 3 times before with no problem, and have seen no sign of fluids on my garage floor.  I've made sure the release is not disconnected (for pushing).  Also, I've noticed that I can push the mower even if the release is disengaged or not.  The belt underneath is turning.  Any ideas on my trouble?

Thank you!!
Michelle
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
A9000

Re: Craftsman lawn tractor - hydrostatic transmission
Reply #1   Apr 13, 2007 9:17 pm
Try purging the transmission, see "purging transmission" in the owners manual.

Make sure you haven't mistaken the mower belt for the drive belt then the problem could be the drive belt is broken or something. The easiest way to identify the drive belt is it's the belt that goes to the transaxle pulley.

Note  my 25 HP 48" modle 917.273241 tractor had a extreme drive belt slippage problem due to a too small of a spring on the idler pulley. If yours has the same problem (transmission pulley isn't turning when the clutch and drive petal are engaged) you can verify that with someone checking that using a mirror while the other person is operating the tractor.

This message was modified Apr 14, 2007 by A9000
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42