Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Older Ariens snow thrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
srgat

Older Ariens snow thrower
Original Message   Mar 28, 2007 3:26 pm
Older Ariens snow thrower . The front auger appears to turn fine but shaft to the back fan turns but the back auger which sends snow out of machine doesnot turn with shaft but turns freely by it self when machine is off. I jammed something in it then it stopped turning are there shear pins on the back fan?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Older Ariens snow thrower
Reply #1   Mar 28, 2007 10:57 pm
The thing that throws the snow is called an impeller.

On my blower there is a bolt which attaches the impeller to the driveshaft, as far as I know it isn't a shear bolt. From your description it sounds like your bolt has busted. I've never taken it out so I can't help you there but I have a hunch its going to take some work.

Before you do any work in there make sure the ignition key is out, the throttle set to "Off" ( a.k.a. Slow or "Turtle") and the spark plug is disconnected.

I have a vague recollection of some instructions that were posted recently that told how to take out the augers and part of it had to do with the impeller, try doing a search and see.

Good luck.
Moderator Denis

Re: Older Ariens snow thrower
Reply #2   Apr 2, 2007 12:05 am
Probaly the 2 pins going true the shaft  and the impeller are broken. That's why the shaft rotates but not the impeller. If its turns freely, that means its not rusted, good news. Remove the gearcase- impeller -rake  unit by first separate the housing from the transmission, then remove the pulley, remove the pulley holder (sometimes you need to heat it up with a torch , or needed a gear puller) remove bracket on each side of the housing that hold the rake shaft, pull out the ole unit vertically, by holding the housing with your knees, twist the shaft (holding it with a visegrip perpendiculary between the impeller and the gearcase) if it doesnt come out easy, add some liquid wrench to the shaft, If its rusty sand it a little with 150 grit paper, it will come out. Remove the impeller from the shaft and Punch out the broken pins from the hole, replace with new ones.Thas it.

Notice no 20 are the 2 pins

This message was modified Apr 2, 2007 by Denis

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42