Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh Snow King OHV 13HP versus Briggs and Stratton Intek Snow 13HP

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Jeeper

Tecumseh Snow King OHV 13HP versus Briggs and Stratton Intek Snow 13HP
Original Message   Mar 19, 2007 5:59 pm
I am a new home owner who is looking to by a new snow blower. I am looking at either the Simplicity P1338E or the Ariens 1336DLE. I was just wondering how much better the tecumseh motor is verse the Briggs and Stratton or vice versa. I am the type of person that likes to buy it once, and maintain it for years to come. Any info would be extremely helpful due to the price of these two machines.
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Jeeper

Re: Tecumseh Snow King OHV 13HP versus Briggs and Stratton Intek Snow 13HP
Reply #4   Mar 20, 2007 5:24 pm
I live in Central New York. The snow here can very from very little all year to massive amounts all at once. The problem with the type of snow here is it is lake effect snow which is super light and fluffy. So even if we get 4-6" of new snow the drifting is the huge difference which will leave sometimes upwards of 3 to 4 foot drifts down the driveway. Think I am leaning toward the ariens because of the auger size and front opening.
jubol

Reply #5   Mar 20, 2007 5:42 pm
Jeeper,

I would go with the 32 inch wide bite, same HP as the 38 or 36 inch bite.

The smaller bite means you have more HP per inch of bite, greater throw distance!!

That would also save you about $400.00!!

You never mentioned the Honda blowers.

At the price of blowers you are looking at, I would go with the Honda 1132 tracked blower.

You would then have the Rolls Royce of blowers. IMHO

You can buy the Honda for about the same price as the 36 and 38 inch bite machines you are considering.!!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #6   Mar 21, 2007 10:49 am
The only problem I hear with the Honda track from owners is that they are not easy to
park in the garage. Some people have designed special dollys to move the machine sideways. Ditto that it is a high quality machine though.

Then there is the reliability and necessity of the hydro to consider. I own a Honda commercial hydro mower in which the hydrostatic transmission can be very useful moving in tightly landscaped areas at precision speed but it is in my opinion that this precision is not needed to move snow in most instances.

I own an Ariens 1128DLE (disclaimer) and would rather have the friction disk drive even if Ariens offered a hydro as an option. This disk is much easier and much cheaper to replace and I can do it myself in an emergency. I keep a spare but have never needed it on my 3 year old machine. Ariens has a 3 year warranty BTW.

If you have long straight up and down sections to clear, the 1136DLE is great. I chose the 1128DLE because it also works on my small garden paths to the shed. I also use it to clear my deck with the addition of two 7 ft wooden sand painted ramps which enables the machine to climb 2 stairs.

The differential in the DLE models is the nicest feature IMO. You can get away with not locking the wheels in a foot of powder and still have the tight turns the differential affords.

Ariens, Simplicity and Honda all make quality machines.
Jeeper

Reply #7   Mar 21, 2007 4:35 pm
Thanks for the info. I actually did look at the Honda 1132 track drive at the local honda shop. I have to admit it is certainly nice until I tried to move it around on the concrete floor which is not much different from a paved driveway, which I have by the way. My driveway measures about twenty feet wide by alittle over one hundred feet long. I don't know if I want to muscle that track drive around that much. Plus I have read owner reports on the track drive and they all seem to like them except for when they have to turn them.
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42