Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity or Ariens?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
nibbler

Simplicity or Ariens?
Original Message   Mar 4, 2007 4:21 pm
I've been saving my pennies for a commercial grade snowblower and am now trying to decide between Simlicity and Ariens. I do 10-30 short ( 30-40ft) single width ( 10-15 ft) driveways. Snow is normally in the 5-10" area with occasional forays into 20-24". So far this winter we've only had 3 major accumulations.

I've looked over their web sites, read and reread the glossy brochures and chatted up some local dealers and both seem like good machines.

Here are the similarities:
  1. B&S OHV engines
  2. Heavy metal contruction
  3. Controls seem about equal
  4. Hand warmers
  5. Lights
Here are the differences:
  1. Ariens has differential while Simplicity has "Easy Turn" which is equvalent to the Ariens deluxe models
  2. Simplicity has power shift, basically really low gearing for when you get bogged down
  3. Simplicity has electric chute rotation
I've lusted after a differental drive for a while now but the Simplicity is less expensive and has features that may outweigh the differential. I've also heard some people casting aspersions on the Ariens recently, mostly having to do with factory setup. On the other hand the few Simplicity folks seem to have almost a religious fervour about their machines.

I know I'll ultimately go with what "feels best to me" but I would like to get other people's opinions before spending a load of money.
This message was modified Mar 4, 2007 by nibbler
Replies: 19 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
montyss

Re: Simplicity or Ariens?
Reply #19   Mar 6, 2007 6:40 pm
The turning has been no problem with just the one trigger lock for the one wheel for me on the Simplicity. It seems to me that there was a discussion on the engines last year before I purchased mine and the 10.5 briggs is the same as the 13hp.This could be why it will go through the snow as well as it does no effort at all . The briggs so far has started with 2 pumps on the prime and just a lite pull on the handle . I had a Simplicity garden tractor that was from the early 60's till just a few years ago and could still buy parts for it and hope to have the same for the snowblower a machine that will last for years to come and not just a throw away.
nibbler

Re: Simplicity or Ariens?
Reply #20   Mar 6, 2007 7:08 pm
I had a hunch that the main thing about the axle lock/unlock system was not being able to unlock either wheel but being able to unlock a wheel. When I switch the pin on my blower it is very easy to turn in either direction. The problem is that I like having both wheels turning most of the time.

I seem to remember that the engine discussion was in the 9-10.5HP range with the conclusion that it was the same engine.

I got a 11HP B&S Intek and it was noticeably nicer than the 10.5HP Tecumseh "L" Head it replaced. In addition the output shaft was 1" as opposed to the Tecumseh's 3/4" shaft. As I understand it the cutover point is 11HP, less is 3/4" 11 to somewhere higher is 1".
Replies: 19 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42