Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity or Ariens?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
nibbler

Simplicity or Ariens?
Original Message   Mar 4, 2007 4:21 pm
I've been saving my pennies for a commercial grade snowblower and am now trying to decide between Simlicity and Ariens. I do 10-30 short ( 30-40ft) single width ( 10-15 ft) driveways. Snow is normally in the 5-10" area with occasional forays into 20-24". So far this winter we've only had 3 major accumulations.

I've looked over their web sites, read and reread the glossy brochures and chatted up some local dealers and both seem like good machines.

Here are the similarities:
  1. B&S OHV engines
  2. Heavy metal contruction
  3. Controls seem about equal
  4. Hand warmers
  5. Lights
Here are the differences:
  1. Ariens has differential while Simplicity has "Easy Turn" which is equvalent to the Ariens deluxe models
  2. Simplicity has power shift, basically really low gearing for when you get bogged down
  3. Simplicity has electric chute rotation
I've lusted after a differental drive for a while now but the Simplicity is less expensive and has features that may outweigh the differential. I've also heard some people casting aspersions on the Ariens recently, mostly having to do with factory setup. On the other hand the few Simplicity folks seem to have almost a religious fervour about their machines.

I know I'll ultimately go with what "feels best to me" but I would like to get other people's opinions before spending a load of money.
This message was modified Mar 4, 2007 by nibbler
Replies: 9 - 18 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
RickJ

Re: Simplicity or Ariens?
Reply #9   Mar 5, 2007 10:46 am
I don't think you'll go wrong with either Simplicity, Ariens, or Toro. They are all good machines. I do like that Toro stick for turning the chute. I was seriously looking at those last fall. I just didn't want to spend the money for a new one. My only concern with the Toro is what happens if you break the chute control handle? It's plastic, so it can break. (probably doesn't happen often, but my local dealer said he had one in for repair with a broken handle) I don't know what that would cost to replace. It's sort of along the same lines as the electric motor on the Simplicity chute control. Sometimes simpler is better.

I think you just need to go try all 3 models, and see which one feels best for you.
This message was modified Mar 5, 2007 by RickJ

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #10   Mar 5, 2007 4:05 pm
The Agway by me has the pro Simplicity models which have the classic chute crank. The dealer won't order the new models till the old sell. (my guess) The older models take about 5 turns lock to lock to fully swing the chute. My 2003 Ariens 1128DLE is 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. Much faster.

The newer Ariens chutes are even quicker but need to be set up correctly to work perfect. I've noticed most HDs do not set up the chute control correctly.

I am not sure if the newer pro model Simplicity machines have the quicker new chute control that the less expensive homeowner models have.

For the first time I am reading on different sites about Toro and Craftsman plastic chutes breaking from ice impact. Maybe because the weather got extremly cold this year and the plastic got brittle? (my guess) I'll stick with metal.
jubol

Reply #11   Mar 5, 2007 4:33 pm
For your info, some of today's plastics are as tough or tougher than steel.

Take a look at a recent SUV or truck fender liner they are plastic.

I have not seen a broken one yet!!

They are operated in 0 temps or colder, over gravel roads and no damage!!!

Do a Google search on plastic bushings and bearings.

It will open your eyes to how tough the new plastics are!!

The USAF F-117 is about 30% plastic, flys comba missons in 70 degrees below zero temps

at about 700 MPH and pulls at least 6G's.

So please do not think plastics are a cheap sub for steel.

Some are much more expensive than steel, stronger than steel, but easier to shape or form!!!!

That is why Toro went to the plastic housing and chute!!!

Fred
This message was modified Mar 5, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
montyss

Reply #12   Mar 5, 2007 7:48 pm
I have had my Simplicity 10560E for just a year now and Love it !! The 10.5 briggs has plenty of power for the EOD and steering is easy to with the trigger lock to release the wheel.
The Simplicity to me is more like a commercial machine that will last a lifetime of homeowner use and then some. The oil is even a dream to change with the included drain hose.
 I prefer the metal chute to the plastic , we have a mountain of plastic body panels from Saturn's to Honda's where I work. Just go to any Body shop and ask how they hold up in the cold.
nibbler

Reply #13   Mar 5, 2007 7:52 pm
I am aware that some plastics have characteristics that exceed those of some steels. I also suspect that the US military's buget is just a wee bit bigger than mine .

Unfortunately there are a lot of plastic parts on snowblowers that are not there because they are better than steel. They are there because they are less expensive and unfortunately they are also cheaper. We have already had a number of postings this year about plastic chutes being a problem, my neighbour two houses down likes his machine except for the plastic chute which he has to regularly nuresmaid. It seems that any time there is a posting about plastic parts it to bemoan a problem, not praise it. At the same time there haven't been any posts talking about a Toro problem in quite a while. This could be due to a lack of owners or a lack of problems. Thats why I'm getting people's opinions and most importantly their experiences.

I plan to be talking with a Toro owner to confirm his impressions about the plastic on the Toro. Last year he was quite happy with it but hadn't had a lot of usage yet. This year he will have had some more so we shall see if there has been any change. I expect to get a glowing report since I believe the Toro's are good machines. The Quick Stick chute control is the best solution I've seen and beats any of the two leaver systems in terms of ease of use and speed. I don't know how robust it is nor how easy it is to adjust and/or repair. In addition Toro's website doesn't have a "Commercial Duty" section, its all homeowner and although its probably insignificant I want to try and verify it.

One thing that I have been struggling with is whether the differential is really any better than the trigger actuated axle lock/unlock. Most machines that have the trigger operated axxle lock seem to have 1 while the Toro has two. Is two actually better than 1?  I don't know, but I'm hoping people will chime in with their experience. Does two work better than one? Does a differential work better than an axle lock/unloack system?
This message was modified Mar 5, 2007 by nibbler
nibbler

Reply #14   Mar 5, 2007 7:56 pm
montyss - Does the Simplicity turn better one way than the other? Thats the justification for two triggers on some machines, I was wondering what experience has shown.
nibbler

Reply #15   Mar 5, 2007 8:08 pm
jubol - Thanks for the info on where to find the review, silly me I was pressing the "Reviews" button at the top of the discussion thread.
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #16   Mar 5, 2007 10:11 pm
If Craftsman or Toro had a chute made out of the new Xenoy material that Honda uses
in their 21" mowers then I think the impact problem would never surface. However the Xenoy deck material is expensive.

If the chutes were made out of the layered Kevlar (bullet proof), the chutes would hold up better than steel and the snow would never stick. Unfortunately it is cost prohibitive as mentioned above. Give it some time though.
jubol

Reply #17   Mar 6, 2007 7:08 am
Nib,
If you buy the Toro 8 HP blower, It probably has a 10 HP Engine on it when you check the specs.

So wy buy the 10 Hp Toro for more cash when they are the same.

Just different decals on them!!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
nibbler

Reply #18   Mar 6, 2007 9:14 am
jubol - Good point about the engine. I am leaning towards the B&S Intek Snow so maybe I can narrow the field using that as a criteria.

The main problem is I'd like to have one of each but can only afford 1.
Replies: 9 - 18 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42