Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity or Ariens?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
nibbler

Simplicity or Ariens?
Original Message   Mar 4, 2007 4:21 pm
I've been saving my pennies for a commercial grade snowblower and am now trying to decide between Simlicity and Ariens. I do 10-30 short ( 30-40ft) single width ( 10-15 ft) driveways. Snow is normally in the 5-10" area with occasional forays into 20-24". So far this winter we've only had 3 major accumulations.

I've looked over their web sites, read and reread the glossy brochures and chatted up some local dealers and both seem like good machines.

Here are the similarities:
  1. B&S OHV engines
  2. Heavy metal contruction
  3. Controls seem about equal
  4. Hand warmers
  5. Lights
Here are the differences:
  1. Ariens has differential while Simplicity has "Easy Turn" which is equvalent to the Ariens deluxe models
  2. Simplicity has power shift, basically really low gearing for when you get bogged down
  3. Simplicity has electric chute rotation
I've lusted after a differental drive for a while now but the Simplicity is less expensive and has features that may outweigh the differential. I've also heard some people casting aspersions on the Ariens recently, mostly having to do with factory setup. On the other hand the few Simplicity folks seem to have almost a religious fervour about their machines.

I know I'll ultimately go with what "feels best to me" but I would like to get other people's opinions before spending a load of money.
This message was modified Mar 4, 2007 by nibbler
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
RickJ

Re: Simplicity or Ariens?
Reply #1   Mar 4, 2007 4:56 pm
Well, you might already know my recommendation. Simplicity all the way. I think their quality is a little better than Ariens, and with a lower price it would be a no-brainer to me. Plus, if you're doing a lot of short driveways I would imagine that you do a lot of turning. So the electric chute control would probably be a welcome feature. And it has heated grips.

My only concern with the Simplicity would be the electric chute control. It's another part to wear out. The dealers I spoke with had said that they hadn't heard of any problems with the electric motors, but it's up to you to decide if it's a feature that you want. I couldn't justify it for my home machine, so I bought a used 8 horse model with a manual crank. But if I was doing a lot of driveways, it think it would be worth it.

Ariens are good machines, but it does seem that there are a lot of complaints about little quality issues. Maybe a lot of these have to do with the dealer set up (or lack of it from HD) but it's enough to make me hesitate to recommend an Ariens.

I think it does come down to what you like best, and how well you like the dealer. A good dealer will make all the difference with any brand.

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
jubol

Reply #2   Mar 4, 2007 5:23 pm
Nib,

Which models are you thinking of buying??

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
nibbler

Reply #3   Mar 4, 2007 10:31 pm
What to get?

I'm still debating.

Ariens

9526DLE - Agile, wouldn't mind 28" instead of 26"
11528DLE - Right width, like the power, maybe more tiring since heavier

Simplicity

P11528E - Right size, like the power, maybe too heavy.

I'm currently using a 28" blower which I put an 11HP B&S Intek engine on. It chugs through snow quite nicely but is sometimes a bit to heavy to "muscle" around. It has a pin lock system so I don't lock/unlock the axles that often. It would also be nice if top gear were faster.

I lean towards the larger machines but wonder if what I really want is faster ground speed, since most of the time I am running in the top gear.

I just remembered that that Ariens top gear is the fastest I've heard of. I don't know how the Simplicity compares.

The point about easy to turn is bang on, the short driveways require a lot of turning thats why I lean towards the differential but wonder if its really any better than the trigger lock systems It seems to add to the cost of the system. The other thing is ease of turning the chute so the electric chute turner is kind of interesting as long as it is reliable, lasts a long time and is easy to repair. The Toro joystick looks ideal from that point of view. Ah decisions, decisions, decisions
jubol

Reply #4   Mar 5, 2007 7:12 am
Nib,

Of the blowers you posted, I'd go with the Simplicity!

Reason, no recalls, better QC at the factory, and I think a much better built machine!!

You might also think, Toro. Check out their "Virtual Powermax tour", appears to compare toro to Ariens!!!

On their web site regarding their blowers, about same price as what you are looking at.

Choice of Toro or Simplicity, with your turning requirements, I'd go Toro!!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
jubol

Reply #5   Mar 5, 2007 9:41 am
Nibbler,

You might want to read the Snowblower Reviews at this site,

if you have not already done so.

Fred

nibbler

Reply #6   Mar 5, 2007 9:53 am
I have read reviews in the past but decided to have another look to see if I've missed anything new.

Guess what - there aren't any. I did a search on "snow blower" nothing, "snow" turned up two things, a snow shovel review and a review of the 11 and 13HP Snow Intek engines by B&S. I then went through all the listings by hand - da nada.

I know there were some there but I suspect none were recent enough to stay "live".
jubol

Reply #7   Mar 5, 2007 9:57 am
Nib,
You have to go to the Abbys home page, click on Snowblowers, Very bottom of the page, click on reviews!!

The Toro 828 might be a good machine for you, light, powerful enough,and reasonable price.

Fred
This message was modified Mar 5, 2007 by jubol

PhilC

Reply #8   Mar 5, 2007 10:14 am
Id offer my two cents but then I have never had a Simplicity blower, I have worked my neighbors tractor and it was a very good machine,. Simplicity has always had a good name, so has Ariens and I do own one of those. Mine is a 924 series brought in Nov of 1992. and this is the first year I have any problems with that machine, belts and roller bearing wore out and had to be replaced. After returning the unit home from the shop the very next storm it went down again this time a little silly spring broke and I could not figure out where it belongs, lost all gears and its now back at the repair shop.. but fifteen years without problem counts for much..

Phil C
Western MA and we get a lot of snow normally
RickJ

Reply #9   Mar 5, 2007 10:46 am
I don't think you'll go wrong with either Simplicity, Ariens, or Toro. They are all good machines. I do like that Toro stick for turning the chute. I was seriously looking at those last fall. I just didn't want to spend the money for a new one. My only concern with the Toro is what happens if you break the chute control handle? It's plastic, so it can break. (probably doesn't happen often, but my local dealer said he had one in for repair with a broken handle) I don't know what that would cost to replace. It's sort of along the same lines as the electric motor on the Simplicity chute control. Sometimes simpler is better.

I think you just need to go try all 3 models, and see which one feels best for you.
This message was modified Mar 5, 2007 by RickJ

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #10   Mar 5, 2007 4:05 pm
The Agway by me has the pro Simplicity models which have the classic chute crank. The dealer won't order the new models till the old sell. (my guess) The older models take about 5 turns lock to lock to fully swing the chute. My 2003 Ariens 1128DLE is 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. Much faster.

The newer Ariens chutes are even quicker but need to be set up correctly to work perfect. I've noticed most HDs do not set up the chute control correctly.

I am not sure if the newer pro model Simplicity machines have the quicker new chute control that the less expensive homeowner models have.

For the first time I am reading on different sites about Toro and Craftsman plastic chutes breaking from ice impact. Maybe because the weather got extremly cold this year and the plastic got brittle? (my guess) I'll stick with metal.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42