Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New John Deere LA100 rideing mower with oil question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mastinson

New John Deere LA100 rideing mower with oil question
Original Message   Mar 3, 2007 10:15 pm
My 17 year old MTD had seen better days and I just purchased a John Deere LA100 and it has a 18.5Hp Briggs and Stratton engine which say made exclusivley for john deere and don't give any other info on it. I have always used SAE 30 in my mowers but the owners manual recomends 10w30 or 10w40, can I safely use SAE30 in this briggs/deere engine?

I have been lurking for a while but finally decided to join, Thanks.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
mastinson

Re: New John Deere LA100 rideing mower with oil question
Reply #1   Mar 4, 2007 3:59 pm
Well I looked under the seat and it says use 10w -30 John Deere Turf Guard but accourding to Briggs and Stratton website the use of a multiiviscosity oil in tempatures above 80 degrees will result in higher than normal oil consumbtion. So why does John Deere recomend 10w-30 and not follow the engine manufactures suggestions of SAE30 in tempatures above 40 degrees. I think I will be sticking with Penzoil SAE30 like I have always used in my Briggs engines, What do you think?
This message was modified Mar 4, 2007 by mastinson
mastinson

Reply #2   Mar 7, 2007 10:24 pm
Ok then not a lot of Deere people here.
joshmech90

everything needs more power and nothing is powerful enough

Reply #3   Jul 12, 2007 1:40 am
i would go with what the manufacturer reccomends because then if it breaks down they will fix it. if you used an iol you were not supposed to in the manuel and it devolopes a problem they might blame it on gyou and decide not to fix it underr the warrenty

down with flatheads so we can finally get out of last century and welcome in the new age of OHV/OHC motors who are supirior in al ways!
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42