Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replace belts on Snapper?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Waldo

Replace belts on Snapper?
Original Message   Mar 3, 2007 8:03 pm
I have 1984 Snapper 8241. It runs great but need to replace the auger belt and brake pad. It looks like a big job as it appears you have to take the entire blower housing and augers off. Any idea what a shop in twin cities area would charge to do this(and a recommended place to go)?
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
RickJ

Re: Replace belts on Snapper?
Reply #1   Mar 3, 2007 8:34 pm
No idea what it would cost, but call Robbinsdale Marine. (Robbinsdale is on the Northwest corner of Minneapolis) Very honest shop, and his prices usually are pretty reasonable.

I bought my snowblower (used) from Cedar Small Engines, in South Minneapolis. I've never used them for service, but friends of mine have. They are also a good shop.

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
nibbler

Reply #2   Mar 3, 2007 10:20 pm
You don't have to remove the augers to replace the belt.

The basic process is:
  1. Pull ignition key and remove spark plug;
  2. Remove pulley cowling at front of engine.
  3. Loosen the bolt holding the idler wheel and move it to its "wide open" position;
  4. Use a large screwdriver and leaver off the auger belt from the pulley while slowly turning the engine over by pulling the manual start;
  5. Use a ratchet tie down and tie one end to the handle bar and hook the other on the top of the auger housing, tighten;
  6. Undo the two big bolts near the top of the chassis that hold the front half together with the back half. The two halves will want to pivot open, thats why we have the tie down.
  7. Loosen the tie down and let the two halves open up  a bit.
  8. Remove the auger belt from the big lower pulley;
  9. Install the new belt on the big pulley;
  10. Use something to pinch the top part of the belt together ( twist tie, elastic band, cardboard sleave the belt came in);
  11. Use the ratchet to pull the two halves together making sure the belt doesn't get tangled - thats what pinching the top together helps do;
  12. Reinstall the two big bolts, use lock washers;
  13. Remove the tie down;
  14. Release the top of the belt;
  15. Use the large screwdriver and the manual start to reinstall the belt on the top pulley;
  16. Adjust the idler wheel so the belt slips when the auger control is disengaged but doesn't when the control is engaged;
  17. Reinstall the cowling;
  18. Attach spark plug, put in ignition key, start her up and go blow snow.

I've never replaced the brake pad so I can't help you there but it looks like its riveted to the pivot arm that the auger idler pulley is mounted on.
mech12

Reply #3   Mar 7, 2007 5:43 pm
  i would try  FRATTALLONES ACE HARDWARE   hint
Waldo

Reply #4   Mar 17, 2007 8:33 pm
Thanks all and especially Nibbler. Looks like a nice July day project when cold beer can assist the process.
nibbler

Reply #5   Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
I'd drink the beer to celebrate the successful completion of the project not during, power tools and alchol make for a bad mix.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42