Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST1136

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pnpramp

Ariens ST1136
Original Message   Mar 1, 2007 10:01 am
I am new to this board, but it seems like the kind of place I can get straight answers.

I have an older Ariens ST1136. The muffler was threaded directly into the block and those threads wore out. I purchased an adapter from B&S that bolted into the block and then the muffler screwed on to the coupler (with a female/female coupler). My issue is the bolts keep working loose and the muffler falls off. I have tried thread locker, but that did not seem to help. The muffler sits about 10 inches from the block (8 inches of muffler, coupler and adapter).

My questions are:
1. Is there another way to lock the threads? I was thinking JB weld
2. Is there another muffler combination that works better?
3. Is there a way to brace the muffler to lessen the troque?

Details (if these help)
Engine:
Briggs and Stratton 11hp
Model 252416
Type0632-01
Code 85092410
Muffler B&S part # 391569S
Adapter B&S pert # 392700
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Ariens ST1136
Reply #1   Mar 1, 2007 10:26 am
The heat is probably frying the thread locking compound.

You talk about the muffler threading on to a female couupling and then mention bolts so I'm a bit confused. If you are talking about bolts the have you tried using lock washers? I'm partial to the split ring style.

If you are talking the muffler itself then I don't know of lock washers that are large enough.

If I remember correctly they use an NPT ( National Pipe Thread) setup which means there is a slight taper to the hole and the thread. If you tighten the part its supposed to jam in pretty tight due to the taper. Is there anyone out there that can confirm this? Is there such a thing as high temperature threading compound?

BTW - I'd talk to the local L&G they must know how to fix this.
This message was modified Mar 1, 2007 by nibbler
pnpramp

Reply #2   Mar 1, 2007 10:40 am
The bolts that come out are the bolts that hold the whole assembly (muffler, stand pipe, coupler, and adapter) to the engine. They are 3/8 course thread (16 tpi) and only about an inch long.
nibbler

Reply #3   Mar 1, 2007 10:49 am
Bingo!

Sounds like a job for lock washers.

If I'm picturing this properly you have bolt holes in the engine block. You use bolts to attach the adapter to the engine and then screw the muffler into the adapter. The muffler doesn't come loose but the bolts do.

If you have stripped the threads in the block then you would have to either bore it out and retap it or bore it out and put in an threaded insert. I'm hoping that the lock washer solution will work.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42