Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens #5520 - right auger hardly turning???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
albethwill

Ariens #5520 - right auger hardly turning???
Original Message   Feb 28, 2007 7:48 am
I've owned my Ariens #5520 less than 2 years and am a woman not very mechanically inclined ...although I did take the time to read my owner/operator manual. 

I've noticed that when the machine is operating (someone else is running it) - the auger on the right side is hardly even turning --- yet seems to be pushing the snow.   There does not appear to be a huge amount of ice or snow stuck in the machine.

What could be causing this AND what should I have checked?

Thank you very much.

Liz

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Ariens #5520 - right auger hardly turning???
Reply #1   Feb 28, 2007 10:50 am
First thing to check is the other threads about augers not turning since this is a common problem and comes up every so often. It also saves you time from waiting for someone to reply.

Since one of your augers is turning fine that means the whole auger system from the pulley on the engine forwards to the auger driveshaft is working fine.

The augers are attached to the auger drive shaft via shear bolts that go through holes in the auger axle and a matching hole in the auger drive shaft. Their purpose is to shear ( break) whenever the auger gets jammed with something such as a frozen newspaper, larger stick, rock, whatever. This protects the rest of the system from breaking, its better to replace a bolt than a gear case.

Before putting your hands into the auger area disconnect the spark plug, pull the ignition switch and move the throttle to "Off". I also put a 2x4 down the impeller chute.

When a bolt shears there may be a piece left in the auger driveshaft, you punch it out with a drift pin, centre punch or large nail. Do not replace the shear bolt with a regular bolt. You can buy shear bolts at lawn and garden places or generally anywhere that sells snowblowers. A local hardware might even have them.

Once you have made sure the old shear bolt(s) is out you need to use a grease gun and inject grease through the grease nipples on the auger axle. Then turn the axle a few time to distribute the grease. Do this a few more times so that there is plenty of grease between the axle and the drive shaft. This prevents the two from rusting together. Now put the bolt(s) in and tighten them up. The nuts are a desinged to be quite tight so that they won't vibrate off once they are tightened properly so they will feel kind of stiff when you are putting them on. I use a box wrench and a socket wrench to tighten mine.

If you need to move the driveshaft around so you can get a better angle on the bolt(s) you do the following:
  1. Take the 2x4 out;
  2. Engage the auger control
  3. Slowly pull the manual start cord, the driveshaft will slowly turn;
  4. Look inside to see where the bolt hole is.
  5. Repeat from step 2 until its where you want it.
  6. Out the 2x4 back in.
jubol

Reply #2   Feb 28, 2007 10:57 am
Nibbler,

Nice set of instructions, safe also!!!!!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
nibbler

Reply #3   Feb 28, 2007 5:22 pm
jubol - Thanks - It seems this particular problem has been coming up a lot recently, I've been getting some practise. I've also sheared a couple of bolts in my time as well so I have hands on experience with the procedure.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42