Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD Snowthrower Wheel Lockup

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mtd4now

MTD Snowthrower Wheel Lockup
Original Message   Feb 26, 2007 8:45 am
HI Everyone,

1st post, so please bear with me.  I have a one year old MTD Pro 10 HP, 29" snowthrower.  After a couple of usages this winter the rear wheels locked up.  After tearing it apart, I noticed a 16/44 gear was rusted to the shaft.  I have removed it, and will be paying $50.00 for a new one that doesn't have rusty needle bearings in it.  But my question is, How often should I be greasing the shafts and gears in the transmission, what type of grease would you recommend, and how do you keep it from getting on the friction wheel which is a few inches from the transmission gears.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me ... 

Nick
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
jubol

Re: MTD Snow thrower Wheel Lockup
Reply #1   Feb 26, 2007 10:40 am
MTD,

Why did you not take it in under warranty, being only one year old??

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
buttlint

Re: MTD Snowthrower Wheel Lockup
Reply #2   Feb 26, 2007 3:42 pm
MTD had some problems with seized drive systems on some of their models.
They issued a service kit too resolve the problem which includes 2 types of grease.
Knowing your model number could help determine if your machine is one with the problem.
If it is, your dealer might be able too help you.
dgillard

Reply #3   Mar 10, 2007 8:56 pm
Hi MTD4now,

Your greasing of the shafts and gears is not the problem. The problem is MTD.  This has been ongoing  - i'm told from my repair center the latest repair kit is their 4th attempt at fixing the problem.  The newest kit involves a sealed bearing, and my repair center has all but told me it won't work. Your problem occurs in the off-season when it's in storage, right? And then you go to move it and it's locked? Same problem i had - you might be interested in my review on this site of my 10.5HP29" Yard Machine.  But i'm also curious as to why you did not go back to MTD?

tdaloisio

Reply #4   Jan 1, 2008 8:32 am
I am having this same issue.  Any advice on the best way to:

1. Unlock the wheels for use (expecting a snow storm tomorrow)
2. Solving the problem longer term?

Is this worth doing myself or bringing to a service center?  I've had my unit (purchased at Sam's Club) for 3 years.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42