Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help with draining oil from Ariens 520E

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
atmarang

Help with draining oil from Ariens 520E
Original Message   Feb 24, 2007 10:17 am
I recently purchased the S520E snow thrower from Home Depot last week. The problem is that by error I put in too much oil. I looked at the manual which said to drain the oil by unscrewing the oil drain plug. The oil drain plug does not seem to budge at all. Is it meant to be this tight or can I use a good bit of force to open it? I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing here and not going to cause any mechanical problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This message was modified Feb 24, 2007 by atmarang
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Snowmann

Re: Help with draining oil from Ariens 520E
Reply #1   Feb 24, 2007 2:44 pm
Obviously use the extended drain in the rear, not the plugs in the side of the crankcase base. You might want to use a pipe wrench to hold the pipe if the cap takes alot of force to remove. If the pipe is turned out of the crankcase even slightly, you'll need to drain all of the oil, re-seal the threads with hi temp thread sealant and re-install (it will leak if you don;t do this).
nibbler

Reply #2   Feb 24, 2007 3:06 pm
At some point when you have drained the oil ( end of year maintenance is a good time) you can get a ball valve and attach it to the pipe. If I remember correctly its a standard 3/8" NPT pipe thread.

Drill a small hole through the lever and wire it so the valve is closed. When you want to drain the oil take the wire off and open the valve. The reason for the wire is to make sure the valve doesn't get knocked open while the engine is running. I added a short piece of braided stainless steel sheathed flexible hose to the valve to make it even easier. Its the hose used to attach the plumbing to bathroom fixtures such as fawcetts. Not toilets. For some reason toiletts are a slightly different setup.
This message was modified Feb 24, 2007 by nibbler
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #3   Feb 24, 2007 8:33 pm
nibbler wrote:
At some point when you have drained the oil ( end of year maintenance is a good time) you can get a ball valve and attach it to the pipe. If I remember correctly its a standard 3/8&quot; NPT pipe thread.<BR><BR>Drill a small hole through the lever and wire it so the valve is closed. When you want to drain the oil take the wire off and open the valve. The reason for the wire is to make sure the valve doesn't get knocked open while the engine is running. I added a short piece of braided stainless steel sheathed flexible hose to the valve to make it even easier. Its the hose used to attach the plumbing to bathroom fixtures such as fawcetts. Not toilets. For some reason toiletts are a slightly different setup.

Instead of using the wire you can remove the handle via the nut and then replace the nut without the handle.At the end of the season just use the handle without removal of the nut to open and close the valve.Hang up your handle in garage as a designated wrench for your snowblower.

nibbler

Reply #4   Mar 1, 2007 10:39 am
hirschallan - Sounds like a great idea! Only problem is I don't have a garage, its more of a garage shaped outdoor storage unit and I loose things in there regularly.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42