Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Brand New Generator Hunts

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cbmontreal

Brand New Generator Hunts
Original Message   Feb 21, 2007 12:32 pm
Hi

I recently bought a brand new 1200w generator and after prepping it for first time run (50 parts gas to 1 part oil), it started first time no problems. It generates power but after a run time of 2 hours to wear it in, the generator just can seem to settle and "hunts."

The second time I started it up, it run better than the first and did settle but then started "hunting" again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CB
Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
cbmontreal

Re: Brand New Generator Hunts
Reply #2   Feb 21, 2007 2:51 pm
Hi Nibbler,

thanks for you response, I 'll try to add some more info!

The genny is a Eastern Tools see here http://www.easterntools.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=72

When I say "hunting" I mean that the Genny is using the auto choke by itself and when I plug in a light bulb to the output the light intermittently dims as the genny falters. It just can't seem to settle and revs constantly.

I don't know much more Generator or engine terminology than that I'm afraid!

many thanks

CB
buttlint

Reply #3   Feb 21, 2007 5:15 pm
If its a brand new generator take it back too the dealer you bought it from.
If you start digging into it yourself and you have something like a bad seal (or worse) you might be kissing any warrenty coverage good-bye.
nibbler

Reply #4   Feb 21, 2007 5:29 pm
According to page 22 of the owners manual this can mean two things:
  1. The choke is opened to soon. If so move the choke to the halfway position until the engine runs smoothly; or
  2. The carburetor is out of adjustement. Contact your local service dealer especially since its brand new.
When you say the automatic choke I have a hunch you actually mean the governor or automatic throttle. This controls the engine so it only runs at top speed when the generator is underload. Its a fuel saving feature.

Page 7 also says to start the engine with no load, wait for it to come stabilize and then add loads. Make sure the devices are "Off" before adding or removing them from the circuit.
Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42