Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh hard start

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cdo1086

Tecumseh hard start
Original Message   Feb 8, 2007 3:35 pm
have a Tecumseh 8hp.TVM220 that is very hard starting. Usually need a shot of ether to start. Runs a little rough after warmup, cannot find any carb adusting screws. Appreciate any help.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Tecumseh hard start
Reply #1   Feb 9, 2007 11:51 am
Hold old is the gas? If its more than a month or two try putting in fresh gas and put the old stuff in your car with lots of new gas.

Do you:

1. Set the throttle to "Fast" a.k.a. "On";
  2. Put the choke on
  3. Press the primer about 3-6 times; and
  4. Then crank it?

Once its warm do you turn off the choke?
cdo1086

Reply #2   Feb 10, 2007 10:39 am
Tank has fresh gas, engine does not have a primer. set choke half way after starting couple seconds then open all the way. I bought this engine at Northern tool a couple of years ago and took it back and they said the problem was carb jets because of pollution control so they supposedly changed them, but i never saw any difference
AKAmajorxlr8n

Reply #3   Feb 10, 2007 1:29 pm
You have a dirty or clogged carb & it needs a good cleaning. It should start promptly with the primer...
Moderator Denis

Reply #4   Feb 14, 2007 12:03 am
Agree with Major, and you know sometimes jsut empty the fuel bowl and clean it and spray some car throttlr body spray inside the metering jet put the bowl back and let some gas go inside before starting by primering it if you dont have a primer bulb just wait one or two minute to let gas get in. start the engine, you'll see the difference for sure.

Good Luck

cdo1086

Reply #5   Feb 15, 2007 5:02 pm
pulled carb off and pulled it apart and cleaned it with carb cleaner,also found hairline crack in plug Changed plug.seems to start much better, but still has a lope when idleing.My thanks to everyone for all the helpful info. Hope i can return the favor sometime.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42