Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Best Snow Blower under $500?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
godzill992

Best Snow Blower under $500?
Original Message   Feb 4, 2007 8:36 pm
Looking to buy my first snow blower after tons of snow (well over 3.5 feet) hit us this week in South Western Michigan. I have a concrete grass concrete driveway about 5 car lengths long and a walk about the same length. We do get a ton of snow here normally but I'm having a hard time justifying a big dual stage machine for such a flat and small area. I'd like to stay under the $500 price point and the following models have come to my attention during my search:
1.) Ariens 522 $475(speedwaysales.com free shipping)
2.) Husqvarna 521 SSE $500 (northerntool.com free shipping)
3.) Toro Powerlite 38172 $360 (speedwaysales.com free shipping)
Do any of you have experience with these models? Are there others I should be considering? Do you know of any vendors that would provide better pricing? Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. A new baby just arrived so price and safety matter a lot. Thanks in advance!
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
solara

Re: Best Snow Blower under $500?
Reply #1   Feb 4, 2007 11:05 pm
check out hd and lowes ans see what they have discounted. here(mass)  they are 20% off.

and will probably go down more soon.  BUT een though they have a fair #, the first hint of a big dump they will be sold out.  

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
jubol

Reply #2   Feb 5, 2007 6:51 am
Godzilla,

You are looking at single stage blowers.

I do not think they would do the job for you.

You might look at the 2 stage machines at Lowes, sears, and HD.

HD might have a 10% off on their sale prices if you open a new charge account with them.

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
nibbler

Reply #3   Feb 5, 2007 9:32 am
If you just got 3.5 feet this week with more coming a single stage blower is too small unless you want to go outside during the storm a bunch of times to clear the snow. Even with a 2 stage unit 3.5 feet all in one go is going to be a tough slog. My only experience with smaller blowers is:

1. Electric ones are only good for 1-2", its faster, easier and lighter to use a shovel. No matter what the HP rating is that they claim the motors are all are desinged for a 15A 115V circuit and that translates to a maximum HP of about 1.5HP.
  2. The single stage gas units seem to be able to handle slush and snow fairly well, I've only tried one once at a dealer's in a parking lot, seemed OK but I needed more power;

The big thing that I notice is that maneuverability is very important on short driveways where you spend most of your time turning. While I can understand the small area concern the powered traction system is still very handy when you are dealing with a lot of snow or a heavy machine. Personally I'd recommend getting a two stage unit with slightly more HP than you think reasonable, its much nicer to say "Man I got too much power, it clears the snow way too fast" than to say "This thing is too small, I wish I had something that was bigger".
DeltaBravo

Reply #4   Feb 5, 2007 2:05 pm
Simplicity 7524 intermediate. 7.5hp Briggs OHV, 24" bucket, $849 dealer

A little over, but will clear EOD and is relatively compact.

I am awaiting the snow!
This message was modified Feb 5, 2007 by DeltaBravo
DeltaBravo

Reply #5   Feb 8, 2007 3:12 pm
Well, the snow came, 4" of it. Very light due to 0-10F. On the driveway, threw the powder. At EOD and mailbox, chewed it up, spit it neighbor's.

Hoping for more snow.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42