Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking for AMF Polar Bear info

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sglucklich

Looking for AMF Polar Bear info
Original Message   Feb 1, 2007 10:34 pm
I got an older AMF Polar Bear walk behind snow blower today.  It was free...  Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has info on manuals, parts supplies, etc.  The guy said it runs but it didn't start for me.  It has a Tecumseh engine.  The "clutch" for the drive wheels seems to be out.  It's a friction plate with the sliding rubber wheel that moves for speeds, neutral, and reverse.  It could be that the "rubber band" is dried out and cracked and needs to be replaced.  Any help or resources would be great!  Thanks.

Sam

Replies: 1 - 17 of 17View as Outline
jslt97

Re: Looking for AMF Polar Bear info
Reply #1   Feb 14, 2007 6:07 pm
Hey Sam,

I have one of these snow blowers. The clutch mechanism works backwards from other machines. You release the handle for the machine to drive and squeeze to go into neutral. Also, the drive line will not work unless the augers are running, so the clutch lever needs to be on in oder to move the thing. Hope that helps.
JD791

Reply #2   Feb 17, 2007 8:41 pm
I HAVE ONE TO I AM LOOKING FOR THE PAPER WORK MY DAD BOUGHT IT BRAND NEW THE CARBURATOR LEAKS I'M LOOKING FOR A NEW ONE NOW
brucehinds1

Reply #3   Feb 22, 2007 6:54 pm
sglucklich wrote:
I got an older AMF Polar Bear walk behind snow blower today.  It was free...  Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has info on manuals, parts supplies, etc.  The guy said it runs but it didn't start for me.  It has a Tecumseh engine.  The "clutch" for the drive wheels seems to be out.  It's a friction plate with the sliding rubber wheel that moves for speeds, neutral, and reverse.  It could be that the "rubber band" is dried out and cracked and needs to be replaced.  Any help or resources would be great!  Thanks.

Sam

Sam,

I own one of these machines and I have a owners manual. There is a belt tensioner under the cover in front of your gas tank, that is the first thing to check, there is one belt that runs the auger and one for the axle. The second thing to check is that there is no grease on the rubber wheel and disc that it rides on. If you take the back cover off that the transmission selector rod runs through you can view the axle drive mechanism. Start your machine and see if the axles are turning and if they are the problem is in the pawl gear that drives the cogged wheels.  Starting has three needs, primer which is the knob on the back left, make sure this stays in the out position after priming or it will flood. If the sproing is broke use a alligator clip on the shaft behind the knob to ensure it stays in the out position.  Use full choke and wide open throttle while cranking.

72AMFpolarbear

Re: Looking for AMF Polar Bear Parts
Reply #4   Mar 8, 2007 12:56 pm
Hi Sam, I own a 1972 AMF Polar Bear 3-stage blower and have all of the paper work that came with the blower when bought NEW. The model number is 13620500, the paper work includes exploded views of the whole blower. It sounds like your unit needs quite a bit of work. If you have the 8hp tecumseh model #HM80 155027 ENGINE, parts are still available from tecumseh. The blower I have is in excellent condition and works great, yet I am always looking for a spare blower, please let me know if you decide to sell yours. If you would like copies of the paper work I have please let me know. GOOD LUCK!
This message was modified Mar 8, 2007 by 72AMFpolarbear
nibbler

Reply #5   Mar 9, 2007 7:28 pm
Whats a 3 stage blower? I know about 2-stage but I've never heard of 3.
schiebel

Reply #6   Mar 31, 2007 11:22 am
72AMFpolarbear -

I have the same unit you just described and have been looking for an owners manual since I purchased it used many years ago.  If you would be willing to mail me a copy I would be happy to reimburse you for your expense.  Otherwise, another option would be for you to scan it and e-mail me the scanned pages.  Either way, please e-mail me privately at schiebel@acegroup.cc

Look forward to hearing from you!

Minnesota

marke

Reply #7   Feb 1, 2008 5:05 pm
Hi Sam,

mark here, I have a AMF 3 stage 26" polarbear 8.0 hp. Model   l3620500. looking for parts for the left side drive wheel. can you help me.

thanks MARK  wisconsin

This message was modified Feb 1, 2008 by marke
sglucklich

Reply #8   Sep 1, 2010 9:17 pm
The old Polar Bear quit a few years ago.  Anyone interested in it for parts?  The engine still runs well - started it yesterday on the 3rd pull.  Just the drive wheels quit working.  I haven't taken the time to figure out what might be wrong with it.

Sam

Janesville, Calif.
Alfaduetto

Reply #9   Sep 10, 2010 8:21 am
The machine is totally bullet proof except for the friction drive. Toro bought out the deMoines, IA plant long ago, I think the Toro part # 37-6570 is similar tho its vulcanized into one piece. Its also good to scrub any rust from the large pulley drive face before use so it doesn't tear up the rubber friction tire.
wilson03840

Reply #10   Sep 24, 2010 8:49 am
Hi Sam,

I'm trying to locate an owner's manual for an AMF Polar Bear. Were you able to track one down?

Thanks for the help.
Doug
derrermd

Reply #11   Nov 3, 2010 12:58 pm
Hi Doug,

I was wondeing if you were able to locate a manual for your amf snowblower.  If so, please email me at derrermd@yahoo.com.  Thanks.

Mat

who8dapple

Reply #12   Dec 12, 2010 5:52 pm
Hi All, I was following up on trying to locate an AMF Manual for a Dual Stage Model #1360-0200. I acquired one last year, during my third use, something quickly went wrong when trying to cut through some heavy wet snow. The auger was still moving and able to throw snow, but none of the gears to propel the unit worked. Does the drive shaft have a shear pin? I opened up the case cover, and everything looked visually intact; the drive chains, gears/teeth etc. Would love any help and or manual. Thanks - Mel
PaulG

Reply #13   Dec 18, 2010 5:33 pm
Howdy all, I have an AMF Polar Bear Mod# 13620500  Tc2 and would love to get a copy or scan of a parts/service manual.  My blower runs great, easy to start but self propelled drive is getting weak.  If I had part numbers for drive belt and the rubber wheel that contacts the friction plate it would really help.

Is there any possibility of getting a replacement rubber wheel that contacts the friction plate?  Any help/advice would be really appreciated.
greenbug72

Reply #14   Feb 9, 2011 8:59 pm
Hi, I have several 26" AMF snowblowers, models 13620300TA, 13610300, and 13610500HC1.  I am looking for manuals for these.  There are some similar manuals on ebay but I don't know how close they are to mine.  AMF also made snowblowers for Sears, with manufacturers code 536.  They still sell Sears snowblowers using the 536 code (or at least they did a few years ago), made by Murry/Noma, now owned by Briggs & Stratton.  There are parts diagrams and a few parts available for these machines on the Sears website, using their Parts Direct feature.  The Sears model numbers for similar machines are 536.82565 and 536.82567.  Model 536.90520 has the next generation of controls, similar to vintage Toro and Gilson blowers, and 536.909800 is a bit newer yet.  I also have a 24" Sears blower, model 536.90512, and a friend has a slightly newer 24" machine, model 536.909700. 

Several people have mentioned drive problems.  One problem I have had is that the mechanism that holds the rubber drive disk can loosen up and distort, preventing the spring from putting full pressure on the drive disk.  Tightening the fasteners holding this assembly together is the cure.  The rubber drive disk for the machines with the all rubber disk is available from Sears, part #27046MA.  The newer style, rubber attached to metal, is not available from Sears, but is similar to the disk used by several manufacturers so any good shop should be able to supply one.

If anyone has manuals for mine, or who knows where I can find one, you can send me an email at jkraft@together.net.
mtgrates

Reply #15   Jan 28, 2013 11:46 am
Anyone come up with the parts diagram?  I also have a Polar Bear that was doing great until yesterday when the chain for the drift auger bound up and tweaked the main auger from one side.  I think it's probably fixable but not sure how the shaft for the main auger goes into the bearing on the sprocket side of the housing or if a part has broken.  These are very trusty units and have had many say don't ever sell it you will never find another one like it.  I know parts for this are difficult at best but it would be nice to at least see how it goes together.  mtgrates@yahoo.com

Thanks for the help.

junkmann

Reply #16   Feb 15, 2014 2:00 pm
can anyone email the owners manual for the AMF 1360 HUSKY snow blower. jampey@verizon.net please
wcbyers

Reply #17   Feb 28, 2015 5:53 pm
Hi ,

I'm late to the party, but if anyone is still looking for a user/parts manual for an AMF Polar Bear Model 1362 I scanned mine and posted it to the web. You can download it from here:  http://wcbyers.com/resources/AMF_Polar_Bear_Model_1362.pdf.

~ Wes
Replies: 1 - 17 of 17View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42