Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > tracked blowers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jim81147

tracked blowers
Original Message   Jan 26, 2007 6:08 pm
Tracked blowers seem to be about as rare as hens teeth anymore. Does anyone know why? I am reluctent to by a wheeled model , but other than honda , which I cant afford, I cant find anything but wheeled models . I just dont think the wheeled models will have the traction a trac drive model would. Am I wrong thinking this? Thanks.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
fouracres

Re: tracked blowers
Reply #2   Jan 27, 2007 7:50 pm
I've spent a good part of my life in lake effect snow country east of either Lake Erie or Ontario. I can think of only one instance where someone may have mentioned in passing that they had a tracked walk-behind snowblower. I have never seen a tracked blower, might have to go to the Honda dealer and have a look. We get major snow and I have never had any problems with our wheeled walk-behind blower (1996 vintage Troybilt). We have no slopes that have to be cleared and even in 30" of snow, I have never needed chains.
nibbler

Reply #3   Jan 27, 2007 8:07 pm
I have used chains and generally its when the temperature is around 0C ( 32F) and its very icy. My blower is kind of old and doesn't have the newer "X" Track tires. The newer tires are supposed to give you better traction.

Personally I think tracks are overkill and more trouble then they are worth unless you want to pull your car out of the ditch or something .
mech12

Reply #4   Jan 30, 2007 1:48 pm
  i know mtd does i have one in the shop right now.
RYPINSKI

Reply #5   Jan 30, 2007 9:25 pm
I have a Craftsman Model No. 247.88890 9 Horse Power 28" Two-Stage Track Drive Snow Blower with a Tecumseh engine. Bought Jan. 2006 at Sears. I paid $950.00 on sale and another 10% off that weekend. I have no problem steering with the tracks, this model comes with track steering control. Beneath each handle is a lever that disengages one track or the other which makes turnig the snow blower automatic. A nice feature is the Track Lock Lever that raises the front end in 3 positions, Transport (good for blowing on gravel or grass), Normal snow and Packed snow.

The engine is Model LH318SA, HMSK90 318CC 19.43 cu. in. very good motor.

Good luck in your venture.
nibbler

Reply #6   Jan 31, 2007 11:33 am
I checked out some descriptions and reviews of the Sears tracked unit and it looks like it was manufactured by MTD. One review said that parts ordered directly from MTD are less expensive. They did mention having to do some sort of parts number conversion. The trigger actuated track release sounds like a great idea and solves the problem with stearing that I've heard about the Honda units. The other feature that seems to be unique to tracked units is easy auger height adjustment. Wheeled units use skids that require the loosening and retightening of bolts. The tracked units seem to have a leaver operated mechanism that makes things a lot easier.

I also have a vague recollection of seeing a snowblower with two sets of wheels, four in total. It sounded like it was half way between a wheeled unit and a tracked unit.

If the original poster decides to get a tracked it would be nice if they posted a review once they've used it for a while.
jim81147

Reply #7   Feb 12, 2007 11:17 am
Actually I have the Craftsman 9hp model with the tracks. I have used it for 3 years now and its time to get another one. Imagine to my surprise when I cant find any tracked models. I went to our local Ace store after going online and looking . They told me that the tracked MTD's were no longer available and that they could not find any in other stores inventory either. Sears told me the same thing ( I went there first) I went to a Home Depot and they had Ariens and Cub Cadet , but none were tracked models. As far as steering goes , the craftsman I have has the steering brakes and it will turn easily on a zero radius , starts with one pull all the time if its above 0 F (Tecumseh engine) and is a real workhorse for me. I remove snow commercially so I try to upgrade every 3 years . Now with seeing nothing but wheeled models available I am afraid it is going to be a downgrade. I will say though that I have never used a wheeled model so I may be all wet . I have always worked of the assumption that snow specific vehicle are tracked so the snow blowers should be also . The height adjustment is also worrysome to me . I have a lever on the side that allows me a certain degree of adjustment . in transport mode it will hold the front of the machine up about 1 inch which makes it perfect for doing the many rough gravel driveways that I do.Wheeled models dont have that option. So I really dont know what to do now. I dont have a rental yard around to rent a wheeled model to try . I guess I will have to just buy a wheeled machine and make the best of it. I cant afford a honda and repair out here in the sticks is always a concern as with any manufacturer.Any suggestions for a good machine ? Thanks.
jubol

Reply #8   Feb 12, 2007 12:45 pm
Jim,
Yardman, an MTD Brand has an 11 HP, 28 inch bite on their web site!!

Fred
This message was modified Feb 12, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
eblair

Reply #9   Feb 12, 2007 6:47 pm
I also have a Craftsman Model No. 247.88890 9 Horse Power 28" Two-Stage Track Drive Snow Blower with a Tecumseh engine. The one thing I can't find in the manuel is how to connect the light.
There is a lose wire with a connector at the end of it. Where do I connect it ? 
jubol

Reply #10   Feb 12, 2007 6:51 pm
The wire to the light.

Mounting the light, metal to metal will be your ground!! IMHO

Fred
This message was modified Feb 12, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
jim81147

Reply #11   Feb 12, 2007 10:26 pm
eblair, On mine I found the wire on the light end wrapped up and stuffed up under the light. The other end is coming from under the gas tank.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42