Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh carb differences between HMSK100 and HM100

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
crazor98

Tecumseh carb differences between HMSK100 and HM100
Original Message   Jan 25, 2007 4:58 pm
HI,

I was wondering if anyone here knew what, if any, differences there are between the carb on a Tecumseh HMSK100 and the carb on a Tecumseh HM100 engine.  Just by looking at them the only thing I see different is that the HM100 carb has a primer tube output. I am wondering if a HM100 carb will work on a HMSK100.

Thanks,

Cole

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Re: Tecumseh carb differences between HMSK100 and HM100
Reply #1   Jan 25, 2007 6:15 pm
Maybe the JETTING

nibbler

Re: Tecumseh carb differences between HMSK100 and HM100
Reply #2   Jan 27, 2007 6:44 pm
There's a whole set of threads discussing Tecumseh engines in the 9-10HP range. The gist of it is that the part numbers all seem to be the same, there is no difference that anyone has found. The suspicion is that it is the same engine with different "decals". It is also speculated that the reasons the manufacturers do this is:

1. They can claim the sticker gives the Minimum horsepower;
  2. The HP rating is for a different RPM;
  3. It saves money since the production line doesn't have to be retooled for different sizes.

There are points where the engines are different. I blew the head on my 11 year old, 10.5HP Tecumseh Snow King engine and replaced it with a brand new 11HP Briggs and Stratton Intek Snow.

1. The Tecumseh was an "L" head while the Briggs was an OHV;
  2. The Briggs had a 1" output shaft while the Tecumseh was 3/4" (Turns out 11HP is where the change from 3/4" to 1" occurs)
  3. The Briggs seems to have more low end torque but this could be just be due to a new engine, OHV is supposed to have better low RPM torque.
I wouldn't be surprised if the same funniness happens in other HP ranges.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42