Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Oil leaking from new Tecumseh 11.5 hp OHV

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
krazy_knuck

Oil leaking from new Tecumseh 11.5 hp OHV
Original Message   Jan 22, 2007 7:16 pm
Hi,

I have recently purchased a new Ariens 926002 Snowblower. I have only used it a few times however, today with using it in the some fresh 16 to 24" (or greater) of snow the engine really slows down to the point of almost stalling and it makes a louder noise something like a cracking/rattling noise. I am not forcing the machine at all and have use other snowblowers in the past so I have experience using them. The choke is fully open and the throttle is set to "fast" position and the machine is set to the slowest gear foward.

When the machine is not moving and I reduce the throttle to "slow", there is smoke coming from the front of the engine (not out of the muffler) but in the same area that the oil is showing coming from (just below where the muffler actually connects to the engine). I can see the oil on the snowblower discharge chute also. I don't think this is normal unless it's part of the "break-in period" but the manual doesn't say anything about oil coming out of the machine.

I thought it could be the belt slipping so I will try to see how to check that later today.

Does anyone know if this is a problem? Should any oil be showing coming out of this area? I have checked the oil level and it is within the safe level. I will change the oil now as it's almost at the 5 hour mark.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Krazy-Knuck
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Jake

Re: Oil leaking from new Tecumseh 11.5 hp OHV
Reply #1   Jan 23, 2007 8:48 am
Something doesn't sound right. If you purchased from a dealer, it should go back before you use it any longer. It must be under warranty. These machines should run perfect (right out of the box) Break in period is not an issue.

Jake..

That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it..
mech12

Reply #2   Jan 23, 2007 5:34 pm
  yes  take it back.  how much oil is in machine?? the tube under the exhaust is for the breather assembly. alot of oil coming from there is not normal. check youir belts.  make sure the are routed correctly.  the should be under the guide fingers not around them.
krazy_knuck

Reply #3   Jan 23, 2007 6:10 pm
OK, Thanks I will get it back to the dealer. Anyone guess what could cause oil to come out like that?

I checked the belts and it's all to spec. Oil level is good also.

Krazy
randall

Reply #4   Jan 28, 2007 11:45 pm
I also just recently purchased the same snowblower and its leaking oil behind the muffler on the top front of the engine  seems i may have the same problem ... how did you make out at the dealer?
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #5   Jan 29, 2007 9:46 am
Maybe a leaky valve cover gasket?

I had a leak on my 2003 11.5HP Tecumseh which dripped once in a while making a puff of smoke. It was Tecumseh PN: 35952

It takes 8 minutes to change. Four bolts.
krazy_knuck

Reply #6   Jan 29, 2007 9:59 pm
The dealer replaced the machine with a new one. So all is well. Yes it could of been a leaking gasket, but the machine only had 2-3 hours on it.

Thanks for the replies!

Krazy
nibbler

Reply #7   Jan 30, 2007 9:57 am
Get into the habit of checking the oil every time you start it up for the first time each day you use it. You will hopefully catch a low oil condition before you blow the engine. From what I've read it sounds like a bad head gasket. I wonder if Tecumseh had a bad batch of gaskets since the engine was brand new and others reported the same problem.
randall

Reply #8   Jan 30, 2007 8:22 pm
The more I look at the leak I think it is a bad head gasket.  The machine might have 15 hours of use on it.  I bought it at Home Depot Canada and they contract out their repairs to local repair shops.  After having 5 major snow storms in the last week and a half with approximately 100 centerimeters in total (40 inches) I can't take a chance of bringing it to a shop to have it looked at because it might be there two weeks or more and we have more snow forcasted for later this week.  A friend of mine has a snowblower which he purchased at Sears which needs repairs and there is a two week waiting period before it can be looked at.  I'll just keep checking the oil every time I use it.  My snowblower is a Ariens Model #1128LE.  I will make some phone calls to Ariens, Tecumseh, or Home Depot when the snow lets up and will keep you posted.

Regards,
Eastern Canada
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42