Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > craftsman snowblower light

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tombraider

craftsman snowblower light
Original Message   Jan 8, 2007 7:57 am
I have a 1992 8/24 snowblower passed on to me this year.It works excellent;although we`ve only had minimal snow this year.Can anyone tell me how to hookup a light to this machine. I`ve been examining them on new one a stores, but i don`t know where the connections are made ,or if i need any special parts,or even it can be done.Any,all help is welcome thanx.Reid.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mattr

Re: craftsman snowblower light
Reply #2   Jan 8, 2007 11:37 am
I have a wire hanging out, but don't know what to connect. The connection is not formiliar to me, and I cann't find anything at the autoparts store to make a simple add on light.
mech12

Reply #3   Jan 8, 2007 1:53 pm
if you want you can buy a factory light set up for your particular model.  or if you have a 18watt light already you can just cut that plastic terminal off that on the pigtail coming out from engine. crimp a male/female connector on this "harness" end   then crimp the opposits onto the light wire.   the light need to be no more than an 18 watt.   usually you can go to a northern hydraulics, tractor fleet store and they should have one for ya.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #4   Jan 8, 2007 4:35 pm
I would first recommend checking to see if there is juice at the wire you found before you get into this knee deep.

AKAmajorxlr8n

Reply #5   Jan 11, 2007 1:22 am
hirschallan wrote:
I would first recommend checking to see if there is juice at the wire you found before you get into this knee deep.

Uh, YEAH! EXCELLENT suggestion Hirsch!

Grab a voltmeter & set it to the "AC" scale. Put the positive (red) meter probe on this mystery connector. Put the negative (black) meter probe to a clean engine metal part (GROUND). Start engine & observe volt reading - if you get 12+ volts, congratulations - you found that you have a working alternator. NOW you can grab a light kit for your machine.

As for the mystery connector, we have an old method of tackling this. Just cut off the connector & splice the wire to your new light's positive lead...

Marty

mattr

Reply #6   Jan 11, 2007 11:40 am
I tried this, but the light came on for a few seconds and went dim like I blew it. Do you think I might need something like a battery in the series. If this is the case, have you hear of this. The motor is a B&S 9.5 powerbuilt, brand new on a Craftsman blower.
mech12

Reply #7   Jan 11, 2007 11:51 am
no battery needed,  you have an ac alternator.  which means at idle the light will be on but very dim. at high speed it will shine bright.
Snowmann

Reply #8   Jan 11, 2007 2:06 pm
mattr wrote:
I tried this, but the light came on for a few seconds and went dim like I blew it. Do you think I might need something like a battery in the series. If this is the case, have you hear of this. The motor is a B&S 9.5 powerbuilt, brand new on a Craftsman blower.

This unit likely has the 1.5A unregulated DC alternator. From what you describe, it's likely you have a bulb that is a much higher wattage. Try to get a bulb that fits into your headlight housing that uses 18W to 22W or so.
mech12

Reply #9   Jan 12, 2007 9:40 am
    snowman   the unit would not have a dc alternator on it unless it is a 12 volt  starting system.  dc current charges the battery. 
JasonnB

Reply #10   Dec 9, 2007 10:56 am

I'm looking at buying a 4-5 year old Craftsman snowblower. Model # is 536.887990, made 11/2002.

It has electric start, but you have to plug it into a outlet to start it. Could I add a light to this??

Here it is

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/501752638.html

This message was modified Dec 9, 2007 by JasonnB
Snowmann

Reply #11   Dec 9, 2007 1:33 pm
JasonnB wrote:
I'm looking at buying a 4-5 year old Craftsman snowblower. Model # is 88799

It has electric start, but you have to plug it into a outlet to start it. Could I add a light to this??

Here it is

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/501752638.html

You'll need to check to see if there is an alternator lead on the engine near the starter. Yellow wire with a bullet connector.

And to clarify, the power lead on the Tecumseh is AC 18W, Briggs is DC 1.5A on the more basic models. Both Briggs and Tecumseh have an available dual circuit with a 5A AC/3A DC on higher end models (handwarmers, etc.). Briggs also has a regulated DC system available.

PK
Replies: 2 - 11 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42