Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Briggs and Stratton Engines

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
xr6boy

Briggs and Stratton Engines
Original Message   Dec 19, 2006 4:05 am
Something that I have been wondering about for sometime

Take for example the B&S Quantum engine. It is 190cc capacity, but comes in various HP outputs from 4? to 6.5.

What do they do to alter the power output without changing capacity? Cam profile, Ignition timing ??????

Probably a really stupid question, but anyway... Have a great Christmas all.......

Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
xr6boy

Re: Briggs and Stratton Engines
Reply #2   Dec 21, 2006 6:01 am
Yeah, but that would change the capacity of the engine from 190cc
70chevrolet

Reply #3   Dec 21, 2006 6:16 am
yes it would, I was just testing you... you passed
I guess the only thing left is cam profile and jetting
They probably fatten the carb up a bit.
mech12

Reply #4   Dec 22, 2006 2:51 pm
     all the engines are the same !!!!!  it has to with  marketing. for example certain  oem's  only want a 5hp engine.   there is no way the can make an individual engine for each rated horsepower.    if you notice  most manufacturers  now or next year are no longer putting horsepower ratings on engines.  it wil be only  cc's output.
joshmech90

everything needs more power and nothing is powerful enough

Reply #5   Jul 5, 2007 5:39 pm
seems to be as of this year(20070 they are putting the torque rating on there. the valve size and compression ratio may be a part of it aswell i would guess that the reason for various outputs for the same capacety is proably the fact that they are rated at different rpm's. they proably limit the lower output motors throttle to give it less power even though it is capable of more.
This message was modified Jul 9, 2007 by joshmech90

down with flatheads so we can finally get out of last century and welcome in the new age of OHV/OHC motors who are supirior in al ways!
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42