Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Hubby's xmas present, need help choosing btwn 2 models.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cwags

Hubby's xmas present, need help choosing btwn 2 models.
Original Message   Dec 14, 2006 9:39 pm
Hi, I've decided to get my husband his dream present...a snowblower.  It's a total surprise and I really want it to be the right one.  We are in MA, have a medium-sized driveway and long sidewalks.

So, I'm considering 2 models:  Craftsman 5.5hp dual stage 24" #88355 (can get for $558)     website:  http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Snow+Equipment&pid=07188355000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Snow+Throwers%2C+Gas&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

OR Yard Machines 2 stage 5.5hp 24" Snow Blower (31AS6BEE700) item no: 7171093 ($650)  website:  http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2422176&cp=1254884.1900505&clickid=lefttnav_catlinks_txt&parentPage=family&searchId=1900505#specs

The seem very similar with one difference being that the Yard Machines one has a knob at the top where handles are and craftsman has that knowb down lower.

I've come to a dead end in my research and and hoping for some guidance.  Thanks so much!

Replies: 14 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Re: Hubby's xmas present, need help choosing btwn 2 models.
Reply #14   Dec 17, 2006 12:32 am
I'm partial to Ariens, but several friends have had good luck with Toro units (I'm picking up a used Toro from brother in law and a used Ariens from another friend tomorrow).  I rebuild what I find or what is given to me and then give them to family members. 

My experience with older (1988 and earlier) Ariens is that parts and service are available for just about every model made (I have purchased parts for models from the 60's). 

You might consider a used unit from a local dealer, but might be a semi-lame gift, maybe give your husband the option?

In my opinion, your driveway and sidewalk needs aren't that great, you might be able to get by with a smaller unit, but just use patience. 

I am just outside of the 495 belt near Route 2 in Mass, so we do get dumped on (but not in the near future :(

Good Luck.

Ralph

Replies: 14 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42