Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Hubby's xmas present, need help choosing btwn 2 models.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cwags

Hubby's xmas present, need help choosing btwn 2 models.
Original Message   Dec 14, 2006 9:39 pm
Hi, I've decided to get my husband his dream present...a snowblower.  It's a total surprise and I really want it to be the right one.  We are in MA, have a medium-sized driveway and long sidewalks.

So, I'm considering 2 models:  Craftsman 5.5hp dual stage 24" #88355 (can get for $558)     website:  http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Snow+Equipment&pid=07188355000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Snow+Throwers%2C+Gas&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

OR Yard Machines 2 stage 5.5hp 24" Snow Blower (31AS6BEE700) item no: 7171093 ($650)  website:  http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2422176&cp=1254884.1900505&clickid=lefttnav_catlinks_txt&parentPage=family&searchId=1900505#specs

The seem very similar with one difference being that the Yard Machines one has a knob at the top where handles are and craftsman has that knowb down lower.

I've come to a dead end in my research and and hoping for some guidance.  Thanks so much!

Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Noreaster2003

Re: Hubby's xmas present, need help choosing btwn 2 models.
Reply #5   Dec 15, 2006 1:40 pm
That’s a great idea for a gift. But to be brutally honest, a good snowblower is a hard find at under 1k. For the most part the yard machines, troy built, mtd, cub cadet, yardman, and most sears are all the same machine with different paint on them. I would say that those machines are built to last about 4 or 5 years.
Now you are closer to the ocean than I am (Framingham here) so you will have a lot more of the wet slushy snow than I. I would almost say that you are better off going with a Toro single stage. When we do get our occasional heavy storms that pile up over a foot, he will have to go out and take care of the driveway twice or more during the storm. However, the single stage machines handles the 3 inches of slush better than a big 2 stage. (You will see most 2 stage machines come with a clean out tool now, that’s for the 3 inches of slush!)
If you are set on a 2 stage machine, don’t get a 5 horse motor, they don’t have enough power. If you have a 10% off coupon for Lowes or home depot, you can consider a husqvarna, toro powermax, or ariens (in order from good to better) from those stores and will get a good deal.
Like what was mentioned above, the fit of a snowblower is a personal prefrence, it may be worth it to give him a picture of a snowblower for christmas and say lets go shopping when he opens it. Being your area is so small, I really think you are best off with a Toro single stage (link below)

Just my opinion, hope I helped,
Jason

http://www.toro.com/home/snowthrowers/gassinglestage/ccr3650.html
jubol

Reply #6   Dec 15, 2006 1:59 pm
HI,

I have a Husqvarna 9STE  HP with an overhead valve engine with triggers for turning.

Love it!!!!

If I were you I would watch Lowes for a 10 % 0ff ad, buy the Husqvarna 10.5 HP, with a 30 inch bite.

They are $999.00, with 10 % off, makes it $899.00.

Lot's of power, easy to turn!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
70chevrolet

Reply #7   Dec 15, 2006 3:24 pm
cwags... If you decide that you want an Ariens, I have a HomeDepot 10% coupon that I would throw your way. It expires on 12/31/06. I live in Mansfield and I work in Braintree. Not sure where you are in mass or if it would be worth your time, But I figured I'd offer it up.
70chevrolet

Reply #8   Dec 15, 2006 3:30 pm
Forgot to leave info.... Duh. If you want the coupon, email me off the board at

jubol

Reply #9   Dec 15, 2006 4:00 pm
Hi,

HD 10 % off coupon.

Lowes will also honor HD coupons!!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
RickJ

Reply #10   Dec 15, 2006 4:35 pm
No matter what you do, he's going to be a happy husband.  Any wife that will buy her husband a major piece of power equipment for Christmas is a keeper. 

I recommend higher power machines because they can handle deeper snow.  A big machine can easily do a small job, but a small machine has a hard time doing a big job.  That's why I recommended that 8.5 Horse Craftsman over the one you are looking at, even with the mixed reviews.  ( I can find 3 people to tell me bad things about any product.  People are more likely to write a complaint than they are to write praise)  But I think in the long run a higher quality brand is a better buy.

The reason I recommend a Simplicity, Toro, or Ariens (in that order) over a Craftsman is because they will usually last longer.  They have higher quality components, so they don't wear out quickly.  A Craftsman will probably last about 5 years before it needs some kind of major repair.  Maybe longer, depending on use.  But by the time it's 10 years old, you will probably be thinking of replacing it.  A friend of mine has an Ariens that's 10 years old, and it still works like it was new.  It's never been in the shop.   My brother has a Craftsman that's about 13 years old, and he is looking to get rid of it because he's tired of taking it in for repair every other year.  I just replaced a Simplicity that is 37 years old with one that is 10 years old (in like new condition).  The 37 year old one is going to my brother's cabin, where it will probably last another 10 years.

The Ariens 5520 doesn't look like a bad machine.  You have to reach a little to turn the chute, but you don't have to shut the machine off to do this.  It's just reaching forward instead of down.  But it doesn't have electric start. (the 520E is electric start)  That's not a big deal for me, but it might be for you.  The smaller opening of the 5520 actually gives it a little more power.  Instead of the 5.5 horse engine trying to throw 24" of snow, it only has to throw 20" of snow.  This should be less work for the engine.  It will take an extra pass to finish the driveway, but that's not a big deal.  Your best bet would be to go and look at these in person, and see what you think your husband would like. 

Buy the best machine that you can afford, but don't overspend your budget.  There is no reason to go deeply in debt for something like this.  You can always buy another machine down the road, if your needs change.  But if you an afford more, I believe that you will be much more happy in the long run with a higher quality machine.  When you consider the extra $300 over a 20 year life of the machine, it's a pretty small amount.

Maybe give him the picture of the snowblower and the authority to take the checkbook and buy what he wants.  You might even want to consider a used machine.  That would allow you to get a higher power machine within your price range.

But I think he'll be happy with whatever you decide to get him.

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
70chevrolet

Reply #11   Dec 15, 2006 4:52 pm
jubol wrote:
Hi,

HD 10 % off coupon.

Lowes will also honor HD coupons!!!

Fred

WOW.... I did not know this.

$899 for that 10.5 husky is an outstanding deal.

Snowmann

Reply #12   Dec 15, 2006 5:17 pm
cwags wrote:
Wife again:  I have to say, this is absolutely maddening.  Let me know if you think he needs a bigger machine.  Our driveway is only long/wide enough to fit 1 minivan and 1 sedan back to back.  Then a long sidewalk spanning a few houses (as he will want to plow the neighbors too.)  We live right outside boston so maybe an average of 8-10" per snowfall.

The 5.5 hp craftsman (tecumseh engine) had good reviews but the 8.5hp craftsman (Briggs & Stratton OHV Engine) had mixed reviews.  So that was my reason for picking the 5.5hp.  But maybe the 8.5 would be a better choice?

OR...since Ariens is CLEARLY the MUCH better model.  However, the reason I wasn't considering them was b/c the models in my budget (520 E and 5520--is one better than the other? Only $10 difference btwn) didn't have the chute turner out in back ... was in front of user.  Let me know if that is not a big deal?  Would user need to shut thrower off to turn chute?  From reading consumer reports the ease of moving chute is a big deal, since he'll be going up and down driveway.  Def don't want that to be a pain.

I guess next model up from there w/ the snow chute adjustment in back is the Ariens 5524E.  $779.  Guess I could do that but wasn't planning on spending that much.  Is it really necessary for a driveway like ours? Not like we live out in the country with a 1/2 mile drive...

Sorry, I'm so confused but need to figure this out by tonight b/c sears is having a 10% off sale sat morn and If I"m getting a craftsman I need to be there.

Thanks so very much for your help on this.  I really appreicate it and my husband will too!

$779 for the ST5524E is list/retail price. You should be able to get the Ariens ST5524E for $699 and the ST724E for $799. These are the often advertised "promotional" prices and are realistic selling prices. If someone won't sell one for that right now, keep walking. Just don't try to get them for that price in the middle of a snowstorm or when they are in short supply.

PK

jubol

Reply #13   Dec 15, 2006 5:25 pm
70 Chevy, 

I had a HD 20 % off coupon, up to $2000.00 purchase.

I  went to Lowes asked if they would honer it, they said yes.

Bought a new double oven and dishwasher;came to $2100.00, gave me a $400.00 discount!!!

Fred

RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #14   Dec 17, 2006 12:32 am
I'm partial to Ariens, but several friends have had good luck with Toro units (I'm picking up a used Toro from brother in law and a used Ariens from another friend tomorrow).  I rebuild what I find or what is given to me and then give them to family members. 

My experience with older (1988 and earlier) Ariens is that parts and service are available for just about every model made (I have purchased parts for models from the 60's). 

You might consider a used unit from a local dealer, but might be a semi-lame gift, maybe give your husband the option?

In my opinion, your driveway and sidewalk needs aren't that great, you might be able to get by with a smaller unit, but just use patience. 

I am just outside of the 495 belt near Route 2 in Mass, so we do get dumped on (but not in the near future :(

Good Luck.

Ralph

Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42