Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buying a used Simplicity

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RickJ

Buying a used Simplicity
Original Message   Nov 30, 2006 3:44 pm
Did I make the right call?

I've been looking at used and new snowblowers for a while now, and researched a bit on this site.  Narrowed it down to either Simplicity, Ariens, or new Toro.  Also John Deere, since they were made by Ariens.

I've been partial to Simplicity, because my 1969 Simplicity Sno-Away S7 still runs.  It's just showing it's age. 

So I found a used mid-90's Simplicity 860 with electric start on Craigslist for $400, and another used mid-90's 860 without electric start at my local Simplicity dealer for $500.  The one from the dealer comes with a complete tuneup and adjustment, and he offers a 30 day warranty from the first time I use it (first snowfall).  Both are 8 hp with a 24" cut.

I'm planning to buy the one from the dealer, mainly because of the warranty.  I figure if I buy the private party one I would pay around $75 for a tuneup anyway, so they are both the same price. 

Although if I want to do some overkill I think I can get a 10 hp with a 32" cut for around the same price.  I just don't think I need something that large.  

I'm in Minnesota, so we get a fair amount of snow.  My driveway is 2 cars wide, and about 2 cars long.  Plus I blow a path around my house for the mailman.  So it's not like I have to clear a parking lot or anything.  

Opinions?  Ideas?  Did I do the right thing, or should I have just bitten the bullet and bought a new one? 

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
Replies: 10 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
pjc733

Re: Buying a used Simplicity
Reply #10   Dec 6, 2006 7:13 pm
i have an older simplicity 860se and it is better than anything i can find to buy today
RickJ

Reply #11   Dec 6, 2006 10:50 pm
I spoke with my local dealer today, and he's going to hold the $500 blower for me through the weekend. I told him that I was considering his and the $850 one at the other dealership. His recommendation was to buy the $850 one if I could afford it. Got to love an honest dealer. So I'm going to the other dealer tomorrow to talk with him. I don't think I can go wrong with either machine. I just like the one that looks newer.

So by next week I should have a "new to me" blower in my garage.

jubol

Reply #12   Dec 7, 2006 6:37 am
RickJ,

Where do you live??

Check out Ebay for a blower!!!

There is an 11 32, 1 year old in Jersey!!!

Fred     

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
RickJ

Reply #13   Dec 7, 2006 2:08 pm
I'm in Minneapolis Minnesota.  So it would be a long drive to get that one in New Jersey.  My brother is a pilot who works out of New Jersye, but I doubt they'd let him take that back on the plane.  So I have to pass on that one.

I have been watching eBay, and Craigslist.  I've passed on a few good machines already.  So I'm torn about the $850 one at the dealer because I know as soon as I buy it someone will list one on Craigslist for a lot less.  But there's always going to be a better deal out there somewhere.  I just want to be sure that I have a good reliable machine in my garage before the snow flies.

RickJ

Reply #14   Dec 9, 2006 4:39 pm
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the $800 machine.

It looks new. You can barely tell it's a used one. So hopefully this is the last snowblower that I buy.

Thanks to everyone on this site. Reading all of the information on this site was very helpful.

Now I can start shopping for a better lawnmower.

Replies: 10 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42