Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > winter storage question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dsharp

winter storage question
Original Message   Dec 4, 2006 10:28 am
This is a goofy question but here goes.

When storing my Toro lawnmower for the winter, do you A) drain and replace the oil, B) drain the oil and replace with fresh oil in the spring or C) store it with the old oil and replace with fresh oil in the spring.

(I'm planning on following the recommendations including removal of spark plug and a squirt of oil into the cylinder.)

What do the pros say?

Thanks,

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
jubol

Re: winter storage question
Reply #1   Dec 4, 2006 1:53 pm
dsharp,

I'm not a pro, but I change my oil right after My last mow, engine is hot, drain out old oil.

Then I close drain valve,  flush with a little "Kero', spark plug wire pulled of, turn engine over about 20 times, then drain Kero, and put in new oil.

I almost forgot, I put Stabil and fresh fuel in my tractor fuel tank, before my last mow.

That makes sure the fuel in the carb has Stabil in it l!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
dsharp

Reply #2   Dec 4, 2006 8:33 pm
Tnx. That sounds good. Unfortunately,  my neighbor used the mower last, so I'm not sure whether it has stabilizer in it. I'll have to put some more fuel in and run it dry. I need to do this before the snow begins flying.

BTW, what's kero?

David

oakville

Reply #3   Dec 4, 2006 9:13 pm
i would guess kerosene.  i wouldn't bother personally, but i know my machine gets the air filter cleaned regularly and the oil changed twice a year.
dsharp

Reply #4   Dec 11, 2006 10:14 pm
Okie dokie, new oil and storage tomorrow.

One more question: I'm planning on storing my beloved mower in an outdoor shed. It's colder than all get out here in the winter; is that a problem for gaskets and all? It'll be thawed out by the time I give a crank next May.

David

P.S. I purchased the Toro Super Recycler and Ariens snowblower from the local dealer. I, like most folks here on the forum, would rather buy from the local guy than Home Depot. Well, my local guy just shut down -- less than a month after the snowblower purchase. Crap! Guess I'll have to be extra good in my maintenance...

nibbler

Reply #5   Dec 12, 2006 1:15 pm
The manual for the engine normally has a section on long term storage. If you are concerned about the cold, check with the manufacturer, you probably don't have to worry but a lot depends on what you mean by "cold". Florida cold or Northern Canada/Alaska cold?

The last consensus on oil changes was to change the oil at the end of the season. That way you don't have the engine sitting for a long time in "contaminated" oil.

The basic procedure that I use is:
  1. If fuel was not stabilized ( Stabil or Pri-G) Drain gas
  2. Refuel with stabilized gas
  3. Run engine for several minutes ( or the last time out)
  4. Open spark plug and squirt in some oil
  5. Put spark plug back in, leave disconnected
  6. Turn the engine over a couple of times
  7. Store out of the elements
An alternate to steps 1-3 is to drain the gas and run the engine dry. You can even use stabilized gas, run the engine, drain the gas and then run it dry. The point here is that even when you run the engine dry there is still some gas in the carburetor that can gum it up hence you want stabilized gas in the carb. Another alternative is to disassemble the carb and clean it out.
dsharp

Reply #6   Dec 12, 2006 4:10 pm
Thanks Nibbler. I'm not talking Alaska cold, but Maine cold is pretty nippy as well ;) I followed the manual to a T using the maual procedures as you noted. Now it's in storage in my shed, where it'll be dry. I'll doublecheck with Toro to make sure that's OK.

Cheers,

David

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42