Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buying a new Snowblower. Help Please!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
zzmac

Buying a new Snowblower. Help Please!
Original Message   Dec 1, 2006 2:54 pm
Hi All,

What's your opinion on the Ariens ST724E 7HP snowblower? I'm leaning towards this one but I'll take suggestions as to a better snowblower in the price range. I have to buy at Home Depot as I got a bunch of gift certificates for my wedding. This unit costs $1000 (Cdn) and other HD brands are Toro, Murray and other Ariens models. I live in the Toronto area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
RickJ

Re: Buying a new Snowblower. Help Please!
Reply #1   Dec 1, 2006 4:11 pm
I looked at that blower at HD, it's a good machine, but my gut feel would be to go larger.  But it depends on how big your driveway is, and how much snow you get. 

I'm guessing that you get a lot of snow in Toronto.  I wouldn't want to be with anything smaller than an 8 horse machine myself.  If you can afford it spend a little more and get a bigger machine.  But stick with the Ariens or Toro machines.  They are much better built than the murray, cub cadet, MTD, etc. that Home Depot sells.

1995 Simplicity Sno-Away 860 Snowblower, 2001 Craftsman POS lawnmower
oakville

Reply #2   Dec 4, 2006 12:59 pm
the 724 will be just fine.  i know plenty of people with them and they're quite happy.  especially if you have to buy at HD, then it's the one to get.

it will go on sale if we get a really light winter (it did last year), but it's snowing here now, so i doubt you'll want to wait.

toolman

Reply #3   Dec 5, 2006 10:01 pm
two years ago I purchased the Ariens 724 and the next winter purchased the 926 pro model. The best thing I ever did. The difference in the two is unreal. I would have never believed it if it didn't happen to me. I'm one of those guys that has to see for myself...well that cost me a few bucks but in the end the bigger machine is the way to go. If I'm not mistaken the 926 reg model is also at HD. Gift cards or not buy the biggest machine you can afford because big can do small but small can't do big.

Good Luck 

Ariens 926dle, Craftsman single stage 5hp, Poulan pro 42" tractor mower
oakville

Reply #4   Dec 6, 2006 6:07 pm
toolman wrote:
two years ago I purchased the Ariens 724 and the next winter purchased the 926 pro model. The best thing I ever did. The difference in the two is unreal. I would have never believed it if it didn't happen to me. I'm one of those guys that has to see for myself...well that cost me a few bucks but in the end the bigger machine is the way to go. If I'm not mistaken the 926 reg model is also at HD. Gift cards or not buy the biggest machine you can afford because big can do small but small can't do big.

Good Luck 

If you can afford the $, go for it.  i have the pro myself and consider it one of the best investments i ever made.  it actually handles easier than the 724.  But, if $1K is your price limit, then the 724 is one of your best options.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42