Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Lawnmower storage question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
canyonblue737

Lawnmower storage question
Original Message   Nov 13, 2006 4:47 pm
Again for a new homeowner (and new to lawnmowers in general...)

I just moved into my home (Chicagoland) at the end of September and due to new sod waited until the very end of October to mow the lawn for the first time with a brand new Toro 20017 Recycler. The one mowing was plenty and due to cold weather the grass has stopped growing so it is already time to put the new lawnmower to bed for the winter.

I ran the fuel tank dry as per the manual but the original gas I put into it never had a fuel stabilizer added. Should I worry about damage and put a bit of fresh gas WITH stabilizer in it back in the tank and run it for a minutes till it is dry again or am I good to go already? Once I get this sorted out I will change the oil, remove the spark plug, add a bit of oil to the cylinder, cycle the engine a few times and wait for next year. Thanks!

PS: Quick snowblower question... if I end up buying fresh gas for the lawnmower shutdown, and adding Stabil or something like it... will it be a problem if I use that same "fuel stabilized" gas to create 2-cycle fuel for my Toro 3650 snowblower which will get oil that already has a fuel stabilizer in it. Basically will gas with Stabil added to oil with its own fuel stabilizer cause a problem?
Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
canyonblue737

Re: Lawnmower storage question
Reply #2   Nov 14, 2006 3:23 pm
so a good solution is to simply buy fresh gas, add Stabil, the splash the tank of the lawnmower enough to let the engine run a few minutes then go dry? i can then use the rest of the gas purchased (with the added Stabil) to mix with 2-cycle oil (also with its own stabilizer) for my winter snowblower needs. thanks...
Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42