Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Beginner: Questions for single stage / Toro 3650 use

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
canyonblue737

Beginner: Questions for single stage / Toro 3650 use
Original Message   Nov 12, 2006 9:56 pm
First season (near Chicago) I will be using a snowblower (a brand new Toro 3560 single stage, 2 cycle with electric start) for a 85' x 12-21' nearly flat concrete driveway and a 160' x 3' concrete sidewalks and walkways. I am a new homeowner and have limited experience with all outdoor equipment. We get several snows of under 8 inches a year and perhaps 1 around 12+.

Questions (all super "new guy" questions):

1. I see the gas tank on the 3650 holds 1 quart... how long a run time is that about? I assume doing the driveway might take 30-45 minutes with an under 8 inch snow and the walkways another 30 minutes? I will try to keep up with "EOD" issues, and if necessary use a shovel on that.

2. With a fuel stabilizer added (via the synthetic oil being mixed in) how long are you all willing to keep gasoline before buying fresh during the winter season? The whole season? I don't know if I should just mix 2 gallons or if that is too much to start if I need to keep it fresh.

3. At the end of the season how do you dispose of extra 2-cycle fuel/oil left in the container (I will run the blower to rid it's tank) since you can simply siphon and dump in your car like a mower?

4. I am inclined to buy a LED bike headlight to mount on the mower (how about this: http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000621XG2/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/102-3340419-6313734) but will mounting it on the top bar create an issue with the lever you have to push up to engage the power curve blades? Anyone mount lights to a single stage?

Thanks... I was very close to getting a 2 stage but decided to do this for 1. ease of maintenance 2. faster/better cleaning of the usual 3-6 inches in my area and 3. wife ease of use (I may not be in town a few days and if we get hit she has no choice but to do it.) I can always buy a 2 stage someday to supplement my single stage.

Thanks again... fantastic forum.

Dave
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
AKAmajorxlr8n

Re: Beginner: Questions for single stage / Toro 3650 use
Reply #1   Nov 13, 2006 12:35 am
  canyonblue737 wrote:

First season (near Chicago) I will be using a snowblower (a brand new Toro 3560 single stage, 2 cycle with electric start) for a 85' x 12-21' nearly flat concrete driveway and a 160' x 3' concrete sidewalks and walkways. I am a new homeowner and have limited experience with all outdoor equipment. We get several snows of under 8 inches a year and perhaps 1 around 12+.

Questions (all super "new guy" questions):

1. I see the gas tank on the 3650 holds 1 quart... how long a run time is that about? I assume doing the driveway might take 30-45 minutes with an under 8 inch snow and the walkways another 30 minutes? I will try to keep up with "EOD" issues, and if necessary use a shovel on that.
(All my responses are in BOLD)
I'll take a stab & say it will run about 45 minutes.

2. With a fuel stabilizer added (via the synthetic oil being mixed in) how long are you all willing to keep gasoline before buying fresh during the winter season? The whole season? I don't know if I should just mix 2 gallons or if that is too much to start if I need to keep it fresh.
Use half of a one gallon container. That will give you two usable tank-fulls of fuel mix. When you need more, mix up some fresh fuel/oil mix.

3. At the end of the season how do you dispose of extra 2-cycle fuel/oil left in the container (I will run the blower to rid it's tank) since you can simply siphon and dump in your car like a mower?
You can throw the old stuff in your vehicle's fuel tank. The small amount of oil (1 or 2 oz) will not harm the catalytic converter.

4. I am inclined to buy a LED bike headlight to mount on the mower (how about this: http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000621XG2/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/102-3340419-6313734) but will mounting it on the top bar create an issue with the lever you have to push up to engage the power curve blades? Anyone mount lights to a single stage?
Never saw anyone mount a light on a single stage, due to the fact that the engine does not have an alternator provision. However a battery powered LED light like you mention is a fine idea, good for safety/visibility too! Mount it so that it doesn't interfere with the auger engagement "bail" & you should be fine.

Thanks... I was very close to getting a 2 stage but decided to do this for 1. ease of maintenance 2. faster/better cleaning of the usual 3-6 inches in my area and 3. wife ease of use (I may not be in town a few days and if we get hit she has no choice but to do it.) I can always buy a 2 stage someday to supplement my single stage.

Thanks again... fantastic forum.

Dave

Nice choice of machine - I've worked on & used a fair share of 3650's & I really like them. If you do get a 12"+ storm, make sure someone goes out & clears the snow once it accumulates around 7-8". Then go out & clear the snow again after the snowfall stops. Its easier to do this way instead of trying to clear a 18" snow depth with an auger opening of only 12"...

Marty FORMERLY MAJORXLR8N

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42