Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > riding mower engine problem.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
shawn440

riding mower engine problem.
Original Message   Oct 21, 2006 10:50 am
i have aToro LX 420 riding mower and i have a Courage 18 hp Kohler engine and when i go to start it  i turn it over and it doesn't start the starter just whines i stop then try later then sometimes it startes but most of the time it doesn't start. but if i get it started it runs werid like iit's misfireing or skipping i don't no i really need help. this mower was just bought in this year in june . i need some help on what too do .
Replies: 2 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dand

Re: riding mower engine problem.
Reply #2   Nov 2, 2006 4:52 pm
shawn440 wrote:
i have aToro LX 420 riding mower and i have a Courage 18 hp Kohler engine and when i go to start it  i turn it over and it doesn't start the starter just whines i stop then try later then sometimes it startes but most of the time it doesn't start. but if i get it started it runs werid like iit's misfireing or skipping i don't no i really need help. this mower was just bought in this year in june . i need some help on what too do .

I was shocked to find this thread after trying searching for the answer to my issue.

I have the same exact mower (Toro LX420) that I purchased this year at Home Depot in June. I have had the same exact problem since I purchased it. It takes forever to start the mower. Being careful not to break the starter by holding the key too long, it turns and turns, let it sit for a while turns and turns, let it sit... turn turn turn... finally start. My problem just got worst. Because of all the starting my battery died. Bought a little 12v 6amp charger like the manual says and charged. Worked fine. and time after I go to start the mower and going through the turn turn turn process, I hear a pop. Right away I turn off the key and pull it out, but the tractor is still trying to start?!? I jumped to my sockets and removed the positive lead off the battery. The battery is now dead. I got a new battery and went to go connect it. As soon as I touch the neg lead(pos is connected) I see spark and tractor tried to start. I am lost now on what to do and probably going to pay big at the service shop, but before I do, anyone have any more advice on this issue?
Jake

Reply #3   Nov 2, 2006 8:11 pm
dand wrote:
I was shocked to find this thread after trying searching for the answer to my issue.

I have the same exact mower (Toro LX420) that I purchased this year at Home Depot in June. I have had the same exact problem since I purchased it. It takes forever to start the mower. Being careful not to break the starter by holding the key too long, it turns and turns, let it sit for a while turns and turns, let it sit... turn turn turn... finally start. My problem just got worst. Because of all the starting my battery died. Bought a little 12v 6amp charger like the manual says and charged. Worked fine. and time after I go to start the mower and going through the turn turn turn process, I hear a pop. Right away I turn off the key and pull it out, but the tractor is still trying to start?!? I jumped to my sockets and removed the positive lead off the battery. The battery is now dead. I got a new battery and went to go connect it. As soon as I touch the neg lead(pos is connected) I see spark and tractor tried to start. I am lost now on what to do and probably going to pay big at the service shop, but before I do, anyone have any more advice on this issue?

I worked for Home Depot (selling lawn tractors etc.) a few years ago. One thing I remembered was they would take back something if the customer wasn't happy with it. You should go back to them and explain that you have had this problem since the machine was new. Ask them to replace it. If you push the issue you might get a replacement or at least get reimbursed for any money spent on repairing it for the starting problem. You need proof of the repair work.

Aside from that...here are a few things you can check. Remove the air filter and check to see that the choke (butterfly) is closing completely when you push the throttle lever to 'choke' If the machine has an automatic choke, it should be closed when the unit isn't running. You are putting it in 'choke' when trying to start it, right?

Have you checked for spark as explained in the thread above? It could be something as simple as an intermittent spark form the spark plug. If you're not sure how the check for spark, just try a different spark plug.

Check if you have a fuel filter on the machine (good time to change it). Also be sure the fuel is not contaminated with moisture or dirt. Best thing to do is drain all the gasoline from the tank and replace with fresh clean fuel. Dropping the fuel bowl and cleaning out the fuel from it is another thing to try.

'As soon as I touch the neg lead(pos is connected) I see spark and tractor tried to start.'

It's possible the started solenoid is stuck from constant cranking. These are inexpensive and easy to replace. Not sure if that's the problem but, it's possible.

Hope this helps...if not post again and I'll try and help some more!

That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it..
Jake

Reply #4   Nov 2, 2006 8:16 pm
Sorry I messed up a little. I went bac and re-read your question. The engine you have a twin cylinder. Ithink it has a diaphram carb. No float bowl. And obviously two spark plugs. I'd try a couple of different plugs first. The rest of what I wrote should be o.k.

Jake...

That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it..
AKAmajorxlr8n

Reply #5   Nov 3, 2006 1:16 am
Jake wrote:
The engine you have a twin cylinder. Ithink it has a diaphram carb. No float bowl. And obviously two spark plugs.

This 18 Kohler Courage is a single cylinder engine with a float type carb PER KOHLER'S WEBSITE.

TAKE IT BACK TO HD!! LET THEM DEAL WITH IT!

Marty FORMERLY MAJORXLR8N

dand

Reply #6   Nov 3, 2006 7:03 pm
AKAmajorxlr8n wrote:
This 18 Kohler Courage is a single cylinder engine with a float type carb PER KOHLER'S WEBSITE.</p><p>TAKE IT BACK TO HD!! LET THEM DEAL WITH IT! <BR></p><p>Marty FORMERLY MAJORXLR8N

I wish it was that easy.

I am not angry at home depot in any way. I know that they do not design/build/test the lawn equipment, but the reason I purchased a brand new tractor is so I wouldn't have to deal with these type of issues. I understand maintanence and random troubles down the road, but after a couple months? As for taking it back... they do not service the tractors, they send them out. It takes at least 3 to 4 weeks to get the tractor back because they send it away. After owning it for 4 to 5 months I don't even see a reason to demand a new one. I think the solenoid is the first issue. I will just purchase a new one and try that first so at least I can get the battery connected. Once I have the battery on (without the tractor going starting itself) I will check plug and carb flap. I always start in choke and after having trouble before I drained gas and put fresh gas it.

Thank you for all the responses and advice as I am not the most "motor" savvy! :P
A9000

Reply #7   Feb 19, 2007 8:14 am
I've had the same problem it sounds like in two Kohler Command engines 15.5 and 25HP and after compleatly taking the 25HP's carburator apart I traced the problem down to a corrosion problem in the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the float bowl. A more correct discription of it I think is a anti dieseling solenoid that stops fuel from entering the carburator from the float bowl so the engine won't run on after it's turned off. Evidently what happens is the water that accumilates at the bottom of the bowl slowly corrodes the steel actuator and brass solenoid sliding surfaces. If it's used alot you don't experience a problem, it's when it sits for along time the corrosion builds up to much for the the actuator to break through it so it stays in the off position, thereafter the engine can be started but it runs eradically and only when using alot of choke.

For a possible solution checkout;

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Small-Engines-Lawn-1746/KOHLER-carburetor-problems.htm

This message was modified Apr 14, 2007 by A9000
joeb

Reply #8   Jul 14, 2007 12:34 pm
I had the same exact problem with my toro lx420. I rented a truck and took it to the authorized dealer. He said the battery was low and there is a fuse he showed me (inline fuse) on the firewall.  It is a 20amp fuse. I had the same situation where the starter kept going and I had to scramble to find the tools to undo battery cables.
kohala61

Reply #9   Feb 26, 2010 7:56 pm
I bought my lx420 from HD two years ago and it has been running fine until couple days ago.  It cranks and won't start like it is not getting a spark of fuel. I have replaced the spark plug and fuel filter and it still doesn't start.  It also has a new battery.  I removed the air filter and sprayed ether in the carbuerator--it fires up right away but dies when after the ether burns out.  I suspect the carburator but would like any solutions before rebuilding or buying a new carb...
thanks, joe
FlyOver

Reply #10   Sep 29, 2010 1:06 pm
For any genius out there.
  • Kohler Courage 18
  • Just started it, moved it from the garage, turned it off.  When back to restart and...
  • Will not start or even turn over.  
  • Starter/ Solenoid clicks (with a small whistle)
  • Starter will not turn.
  • Disconnected cable connects at battery, at selanoid, at starter.  Cleaned with steel wool.  The machine is three yrs old so most connections were not "dirty".
  • Reconnected  - same result.  Clicks and a light whistle.
  • Cross over the two poles on the switch/solenoid,  small amount of sparks arrupted (as expected) but the starter did not turn over.
  • I sat on the seat to depress the safety switch.  I set the brake.  I engaged and released the blade pto.  
  • Still, only clicks.
  • Does anyone know what is happening?  
  • Is it a starter problem?  A solenoid problem?  Is the dang engine locked up?
Replies: 2 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42