Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower guidance (help!)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dsharp

Snowblower guidance (help!)
Original Message   Oct 13, 2006 3:21 pm
Take pity upon me. I've been lurking here, and I'm looking for some suggestions on a snowblower.

I've narrowed it down to four snowblowers (all around $900 to $1,000):

Cub Cadet, 10 hp, Tecumseh L-head, 28-inch

Husqvarna, 10.5 hp, Tecumseh OHV, 30-inch

Craftsman, 10.5 hp, Briggs OHV, 30-inch

Arien, 9 hp, Tecumseh L-head, 26-inch

The Husq and the Craftsman look to me to be made by the same manufacturers. The Sears guy told me that theirs is made by Murray. Yikes! I actually prefer the first three for ease of use. Of course, I'm aware of the Ariens reputation, though the 9-hp model isn't overly impressive.

Any thoughts? (My driveway is 25 by 50, and I live in Maine. Snowfally can be heavy, but the worst part is the pile at the end of the driveway that's caused by the snow plow!)

Thanks,

David

Replies: 17 - 26 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
cleblanc

Re: Snowblower guidance (help!)
Reply #17   Oct 24, 2006 10:38 am
As it turns out I did not get the Toro yet.  My local dealer tried to pull a fast one on the order and charge me $50 for a documentation fee.  I said I wasn't paying it and resented him adding it on after the fact and not telling me about it when we made the deal.  They would not admit they did anything wrong so I cancelled the order and walked out.  I have another local dealer that I can get the Toro from but my husband is leaning toward the Cub Cadet at HD again for $400 less.  So far my local HD has not had them in stock so we have not purchased yet.  I still would really like the Toro and I even let their customer service department know about what the dealer did.

Has anyone else ever heard of a documentation fee?  Is this common when buying outdoor power equipment.  The dealer claims it was for applying for the 1 year Toro financing.  This makes no sense to me at all.  I have applied many times for 1 year no interest no payment financing and have never heard of a fee associated with it.  Why would anyone use it if it cost $50 to do so?  I think my dealer was just trying to make up for giving me the free delivery I asked for.   

dsharp

Reply #18   Oct 25, 2006 6:23 am
My local dealer didn't charge for the financing option when I purchased a Toro Super Recycler mower. I think your Toro dealer is nuts to let you walk away over a $50 fee. Toro customer service is actually decent. I had a problem with my Super Recycler and they made it right. I also found that while I was not thrilled with the sales staff, the service department at my Toro dealer was pretty easy to work with.

Good luck!

dsharp

Reply #19   Nov 1, 2006 5:22 pm
Thanks for the help here. I'll put out one last call for counsel:

I'm looking at either the Toro 10 hp Tecumseh L-head, or the Ariens LE 11.5 hp Techumseh OHV. Both have a 28-inch bite. I don't want to sink the money in the pro model, and I believe I can live with the cast aluminum gear box based on a chat with the service manager of my local dealer. The dealer carries both Toro and Arien.  I'm probably leaning toward the Ariens at this point, but could be swayed. Interestingly enough, the sales staff recommends the Toro over the Ariens LE and Ariens pro line based on its "tough gear box." The service department, however, recommends Ariens based on the no polycarbonate/plastic justification.

Plastic/metal aside, I'm hung up on the engine choice: I like the Arien's OHV but it has less displacement, 318 cc vs 358 cc on the Toro L-head. Which is going to work harder/last longer, the OHV with less displacement and higher hp, or the L-head with more displacement but less hp? What sayeth the engineers? 

I have the day off on Friday, so I plan to make my purchase then. I figure I can't go wrong either way.... I wish I had a strong color preference, orange vs. red. That would would make it easier

jubol

Reply #20   Nov 1, 2006 5:48 pm
Go with the Ariens, greater HP!!

You may not need it, but when you do for EOD, it's there!!!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
cleblanc

Reply #21   Nov 2, 2006 6:25 am
I ended up getting the Toro 1028LXE after all from a different dealer.  He was able to match the price of $1399 and give the 1 year financing.  He also gave me free delivery since he is only 5 minutes away.  It is scheduled to arrive this Saturday.  I'm glad that decision is made.  It really was a very tough decision between all the snowblower choices.

Dsharp - Obviously I voted for the Toro over the Ariens 11528LE (which was a big contender with us too).  I think either machine will be fine as far as the engine goes and it came down to which will be easier to use.  Nothing was able to beat the joystick controls for me   My husband  preferred a plastic chute too and the Toro has a 5 year warranty on the chute so I am not worried.  We also preferred the lighter weight of the Toro.

Good luck with your choice.     

Snowmann

Reply #22   Nov 3, 2006 9:18 am
dsharp wrote:
Thanks for the help here. I'll put out one last call for counsel:

I'm looking at either the Toro 10 hp Tecumseh L-head, or the Ariens LE 11.5 hp Techumseh OHV. Both have a 28-inch bite. I don't want to sink the money in the pro model, and I believe I can live with the cast aluminum gear box based on a chat with the service manager of my local dealer. The dealer carries both Toro and Arien.  I'm probably leaning toward the Ariens at this point, but could be swayed. Interestingly enough, the sales staff recommends the Toro over the Ariens LE and Ariens pro line based on its "tough gear box." The service department, however, recommends Ariens based on the no polycarbonate/plastic justification.

Plastic/metal aside, I'm hung up on the engine choice: I like the Arien's OHV but it has less displacement, 318 cc vs 358 cc on the Toro L-head. Which is going to work harder/last longer, the OHV with less displacement and higher hp, or the L-head with more displacement but less hp? What sayeth the engineers? 

I have the day off on Friday, so I plan to make my purchase then. I figure I can't go wrong either way.... I wish I had a strong color preference, orange vs. red. That would would make it easier

The Ariens XS style gearbox (Aluminum and Cast Iron styles) is easily the equal to the Toro, and in some ways better (although the Toro gearbox is of good robust design). I can elaborate if you wish.

I don't really agree with their "so strong it doesn't even need shear bolts" propaganda though. That's like removing the seat belts from a Ford Excusrion just becuase it's so big.

PK

Snowmann

Reply #23   Nov 3, 2006 9:23 am
Nice spelling I have there. "Excusrion" and "Becuase". Moderators, where's the ever so helpful edit button?
dsharp

Reply #24   Nov 3, 2006 5:26 pm
Thanks Snowman, Jubol, Cleblanc et al:

The deed is done: I got more snowblower than I need, at least I hope that's the case. Got the Ariens ST11528LE from the local dealer. Same price as at the big box, but with free setup and delivery, along with a $98 warranty extension. That makes five years total and the dealer will retrieve it if there's a problem; furthermore, the dealer will send a snow plow if it snows while it's in the shop. Pretty nice.

I know the pro-level is better, but I think the aluminum box will work. The service manager says the alminum box has brass bushings compared to bearings in the pro models. But he says he has seen the brass bushings work 30 years with proper maintenance. (Snowman, does this sound right?) In fact, he told me this will be the last snow blower I buy if I take care of it. I'm only 40, so this was a little disturbing. I hope he means it'll last 60 years ;)

Cleblanc: I'd be interested in hearing your experience with the Toro. I like it a lot -- it's lighter and more maneurable even without the triggers. One reason I decided on the Ariens is that they seemed to be the preferred equipment in Maine. I think it'll have decent resale if I get relocated.

Thanks again

David

dsharp

Reply #25   Nov 3, 2006 5:29 pm
One final thought: I fired up the 11.5 OHV Tecumseh in the parking lot. It's like any other snow blower engine -- it's loud as heck! I didn't notice any difference in sound compared to my neighbor's Ariens L-head... People hoping for a quiet engine shouldn't get their hopes up with the Tecumseh OHV,  IMHO
nibbler

Reply #26   Nov 6, 2006 9:52 am
dsharp wrote:
One final thought: I fired up the 11.5 OHV Tecumseh in the parking lot. It's like any other snow blower engine -- it's loud as heck! I didn't notice any difference in sound compared to my neighbor's Ariens L-head... People hoping for a quiet engine shouldn't get their hopes up with the Tecumseh OHV,  IMHO

I read the same thing about OHV being "quieter". I didn't notice a difference, they were all loud. I always wear at least ear muffs and almost always have plugs in as well. Damage to ears accumulates so you need to save them all the time.

Interesting side note. I to a rock concert and wore ear plugs. I tried taking them out once or twice and found that I could hear the music and the singing better with the plugs in, the group sounded better with the volume turned "down"..
Replies: 17 - 26 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42