Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Sears Tractor axle retaining rings

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ziggirina

Sears Tractor axle retaining rings
Original Message   Oct 23, 2006 10:12 am
I was trying to get off my wheel on my 12.5 HP 38" Sears Tractor. It was on pretty good and I tapped on axle with hammer.The axle comes right out on the other side now. I now accidently knocked  off the retaining ring for opposite axle. I took out transaxle to see if I could take apart to replace retaining ring. I seem to be having a hard time seperating the two halves. Will everthing fall apart when they do come apart. I left a couple of screws in loosely so it does not fall apart.Any help to bail me out.Walt in NJ
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Jake

Re: Sears Tractor axle retaining rings
Reply #1   Oct 23, 2006 3:32 pm
ziggirina wrote:
I was trying to get off my wheel on my 12.5 HP 38" Sears Tractor. It was on pretty good and I tapped on axle with hammer.The axle comes right out on the other side now. I now accidently knocked  off the retaining ring for opposite axle. I took out transaxle to see if I could take apart to replace retaining ring. I seem to be having a hard time seperating the two halves. Will everthing fall apart when they do come apart. I left a couple of screws in loosely so it does not fall apart.Any help to bail me out.Walt in NJ

I recently had a similiar one apart. It was difficult to get the halves apart because it had a sealer as well as the attachment bolts. When I carefully pried the halves apart nothing fell out. There is a lot of grease in the transaxle and most of the gearing etc. is stuck in it. I would only suggest you take it apart with the transaxle in the upright position. You shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!

That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it..
AKAmajorxlr8n

Re: Sears Tractor axle retaining rings
Reply #2   Nov 3, 2006 1:52 am
Walt - I'm assuming this is a Peerless transaxle since it is an older Sears. Did you remove the pulley on top of the trans? If not, you HAVE TO as there is a hidden 3/8" bolt UNDER the pulley!

Marty FORMERLY MAJORXLR8N

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42