Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snapper RER, B&S or Tecumseh?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JALinker

Snapper RER, B&S or Tecumseh?
Original Message   Oct 22, 2006 2:23 am
I have located a Snapper RER for a little less than $300, not sure of the vintage, guy that is selling it says it needs some carb work...  it is an 8-HP Tecumseh.  I know the carb is partially disassembled, the bowl is in the seat, he says it needs a new float.  Should I just purchase a new carb and be good to go, and then which can I get, float or diaphragm?  are they interchangeable?

He also has an older RER, a comet 30, I think it was, with an 8-horse briggs on it for a little less money...  He was insure what it'd need to get going again.

I am not sure the vintage of either of these, but I know the tecumseh-engined one has the new(er) blade interlock pedal assembly thing, and the comet does not.

They are both electric start versions.  

What specifically should I look for on these?  How can I tell the vintage?  If I go back and look at them, is there a way I can bring more info here and ask someone which would be the better one to get?

Thanks!!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Jake

Re: Snapper RER, B&S or Tecumseh?
Reply #1   Oct 22, 2006 1:39 pm
JALinker wrote:
I have located a Snapper RER for a little less than $300, not sure of the vintage, guy that is selling it says it needs some carb work...  it is an 8-HP Tecumseh.  I know the carb is partially disassembled, the bowl is in the seat, he says it needs a new float.  Should I just purchase a new carb and be good to go, and then which can I get, float or diaphragm?  are they interchangeable?

He also has an older RER, a comet 30, I think it was, with an 8-horse briggs on it for a little less money...  He was insure what it'd need to get going again.

I am not sure the vintage of either of these, but I know the tecumseh-engined one has the new(er) blade interlock pedal assembly thing, and the comet does not.

They are both electric start versions.  

What specifically should I look for on these?  How can I tell the vintage?  If I go back and look at them, is there a way I can bring more info here and ask someone which would be the better one to get?

Thanks!!

Regarding the 8 h.p. Tecumseh. I would just replace the float and install a new seat. Buying another carb. is going to be expensive. A new float will cost next to nothing, in fact, if you went to some repair shop they'd probably give you another float at no charge. Wouldn't bother trying to exchange for a diaphram carburetor. Now you're getting into linkage issues etc. Besides, in the future you'll need to replace the worn diaphram again.

The B&S engine...Is the shaft size the same as the Tecumseh? Won't work if it's not the same. If want to check it out, the first thing is to see if there is oil in it. Next , try and turn it over by hand. If it clunks, doesn't turn over or turns really easy, walk away. Be sure to remove the spark plug first. Having tried those things, you could move onto checking for spark, fuel condition, broken wires or a lot of other things.

That's my story...and I'm stickin' to it..
AKAmajorxlr8n

Re: Snapper RER, B&S or Tecumseh?
Reply #2   Nov 3, 2006 1:56 am
$300 for a NON RUNNING Snapper rider?  Look elsewhere. Lots of good deals now for GOOD, used, RUNNING equipment for $300! Plenty on Ebay!

Marty FORMERLY MAJORXLR8N

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42