Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower guidance (help!)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dsharp

Snowblower guidance (help!)
Original Message   Oct 13, 2006 3:21 pm
Take pity upon me. I've been lurking here, and I'm looking for some suggestions on a snowblower.

I've narrowed it down to four snowblowers (all around $900 to $1,000):

Cub Cadet, 10 hp, Tecumseh L-head, 28-inch

Husqvarna, 10.5 hp, Tecumseh OHV, 30-inch

Craftsman, 10.5 hp, Briggs OHV, 30-inch

Arien, 9 hp, Tecumseh L-head, 26-inch

The Husq and the Craftsman look to me to be made by the same manufacturers. The Sears guy told me that theirs is made by Murray. Yikes! I actually prefer the first three for ease of use. Of course, I'm aware of the Ariens reputation, though the 9-hp model isn't overly impressive.

Any thoughts? (My driveway is 25 by 50, and I live in Maine. Snowfally can be heavy, but the worst part is the pile at the end of the driveway that's caused by the snow plow!)

Thanks,

David

Replies: 12 - 21 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
cleblanc

Re: Snowblower guidance (help!)
Reply #12   Oct 18, 2006 8:59 am
We also looked at the Sears 88105.  I think it is $979 right now which is a great deal.  As you pointed out it is like the Husqvarna.  If you are a member of Costco, it is also like the Poulan Pro 1130ES that they sell for $999.  But that one is not an OHV engine, I don't think.

We ruled these out because we didn't want 30 inches.  28 was as high as we wanted to go since we want to store it in our garage during the winter.

Pricewise I would have preferred the Ariens 926LE or the Toro 826LE but neither had the power steering which I felt was a must.  

I can't believe what a tough decision this has been.  Good luck with your choice!

solara

Reply #13   Oct 18, 2006 1:35 pm
i bought a toro, hd sold it and i ended up w/ an ariens.

I am happy w/ it.

One thing on the SEARS, the "handlebars" are VERY high and unless you are tall it may become uncomfotable after a while.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
jubol

Reply #14   Oct 18, 2006 1:49 pm
DSHARP,

Check with your Husky or Poulan dealers (same machines with different Names).

Sears version, I understand uses bushings instead of bearings, smaller belts on Traction and Augar drives.

They have OHV engines on some of their blowers. Also trigger disconnect triggers for turning on a dime.

My chute controls, not quite as good as Toro's, but better than anyone else.

Huakys also have infinate speed settings, not just 4 or 5 speeds.

Blower should run about $1100.00 at a dealer.

Lowes a 10.5 HP L head engine. 30 inch bite $999.00, with their credit, 10 % more off makes it $899.00 and also receive a  free

snow cab for it.

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
jubol

Reply #15   Oct 18, 2006 1:53 pm
DSHARP,

Forgot tis bit of info.

Go to the Husky and Poulan web site  and read up on them.

You can also download op's and parts manual.

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
dsharp

Reply #16   Oct 24, 2006 7:01 am
Well, I like 'em all including the Husky, but I'm leaning toward the Ariens at this point. I liked the 11528 with a 11.5 hp OHV. engine  I can get it at the orange big box store or from a local dealer. One question is whether the almuminum gear case is OK, or whether it's worth the extra $$ for the cast iron gear case. That's the only big difference I see between the two.

The Ariens is about the same price at both places when you include the extended warranty. If I skip the warranty (which includes pickup service), then the cost advantage goes to Home Depot. Are these things reliable, or is an extended warranty a good idea?

The dealer says he thinks the Toro is sturdier than the Ariens. Hard to know what's in the guts of the machine. The 10-hp Toro costs $100 more -- better controls but no OHV engine. I like the Toro too!

David

cleblanc

Reply #17   Oct 24, 2006 10:38 am
As it turns out I did not get the Toro yet.  My local dealer tried to pull a fast one on the order and charge me $50 for a documentation fee.  I said I wasn't paying it and resented him adding it on after the fact and not telling me about it when we made the deal.  They would not admit they did anything wrong so I cancelled the order and walked out.  I have another local dealer that I can get the Toro from but my husband is leaning toward the Cub Cadet at HD again for $400 less.  So far my local HD has not had them in stock so we have not purchased yet.  I still would really like the Toro and I even let their customer service department know about what the dealer did.

Has anyone else ever heard of a documentation fee?  Is this common when buying outdoor power equipment.  The dealer claims it was for applying for the 1 year Toro financing.  This makes no sense to me at all.  I have applied many times for 1 year no interest no payment financing and have never heard of a fee associated with it.  Why would anyone use it if it cost $50 to do so?  I think my dealer was just trying to make up for giving me the free delivery I asked for.   

dsharp

Reply #18   Oct 25, 2006 6:23 am
My local dealer didn't charge for the financing option when I purchased a Toro Super Recycler mower. I think your Toro dealer is nuts to let you walk away over a $50 fee. Toro customer service is actually decent. I had a problem with my Super Recycler and they made it right. I also found that while I was not thrilled with the sales staff, the service department at my Toro dealer was pretty easy to work with.

Good luck!

dsharp

Reply #19   Nov 1, 2006 5:22 pm
Thanks for the help here. I'll put out one last call for counsel:

I'm looking at either the Toro 10 hp Tecumseh L-head, or the Ariens LE 11.5 hp Techumseh OHV. Both have a 28-inch bite. I don't want to sink the money in the pro model, and I believe I can live with the cast aluminum gear box based on a chat with the service manager of my local dealer. The dealer carries both Toro and Arien.  I'm probably leaning toward the Ariens at this point, but could be swayed. Interestingly enough, the sales staff recommends the Toro over the Ariens LE and Ariens pro line based on its "tough gear box." The service department, however, recommends Ariens based on the no polycarbonate/plastic justification.

Plastic/metal aside, I'm hung up on the engine choice: I like the Arien's OHV but it has less displacement, 318 cc vs 358 cc on the Toro L-head. Which is going to work harder/last longer, the OHV with less displacement and higher hp, or the L-head with more displacement but less hp? What sayeth the engineers? 

I have the day off on Friday, so I plan to make my purchase then. I figure I can't go wrong either way.... I wish I had a strong color preference, orange vs. red. That would would make it easier

jubol

Reply #20   Nov 1, 2006 5:48 pm
Go with the Ariens, greater HP!!

You may not need it, but when you do for EOD, it's there!!!!

Fred

cleblanc

Reply #21   Nov 2, 2006 6:25 am
I ended up getting the Toro 1028LXE after all from a different dealer.  He was able to match the price of $1399 and give the 1 year financing.  He also gave me free delivery since he is only 5 minutes away.  It is scheduled to arrive this Saturday.  I'm glad that decision is made.  It really was a very tough decision between all the snowblower choices.

Dsharp - Obviously I voted for the Toro over the Ariens 11528LE (which was a big contender with us too).  I think either machine will be fine as far as the engine goes and it came down to which will be easier to use.  Nothing was able to beat the joystick controls for me   My husband  preferred a plastic chute too and the Toro has a 5 year warranty on the chute so I am not worried.  We also preferred the lighter weight of the Toro.

Good luck with your choice.     

Replies: 12 - 21 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42