Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > String Trimmers....Help Needed Please

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tennisbumbishop

String Trimmers....Help Needed Please
Original Message   Sep 20, 2006 9:36 am
I'm needing to purchase a new string trimmer.  All of my string trimmers in the past have been "Wal-Mart" bought but I now think it's time that I purchase a quality string trimmer that will last a long time and be relatively maintainence free.

On a weekly to week basis I will be using it to edge my driveway.  Every other week I'll trim the grass falling over into my mulch.  About 3 times a year I'll be cutting thick weeds and brush in a 5'x50' ditch towards the back of my yard.  I will not be using it to get under any small trees or bushes.

Although it seems most people recommend a straight shaft, from handling them in the store it seems the curved shaft would be easy to work with for what I need.  The gentleman in the store said the straight shaft would be best because I'm so tall and it would be easier on my back.

I've narrowed down my choices to a couple models that can be found at a local 'Home Supply' store...local store with an excellent service department and very friendly/helpful people...definately deserve my business.

- Stihl FS-45 (curved shaft - although it doesn't seem as curved as other companies models, $140)

- Stihl FS-45 CE (curved shaft, easy start, $170)

- Stihl FS-55 R (straight shaft, $200)

- Stihl FS-55 CE (straight shaft, easy start, $230)

- Husquvarna 125C (curved shaft, $150)

- Husqvarna 125L (straight shaft, $200)

Can anyone give me some feedback/opinions/etc. on any of the above models?

Thank you for your help!

TennisBumBishop

Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
tennisbumbishop

Re: String Trimmers....Help Needed Please
Reply #6   Sep 25, 2006 9:48 am
I'm going today to get the Stihl FS-45 for $129.99. I'm going with this model for a couple reasons: 1) It's the cheapest Stihl (great quality at a great price) and with a baby due in March I'm watching my dollars more closely, 2) I don't need to spend the extra $40 to get the easy start engine, and 3) The curved shaft just seems easier to handle for what I'm going to be using it for.

I appreciate all your help and advice.

TBB

Replies: 6 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42