Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 9526 DLE vs Simplicity 1060DLXE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rfield54

Ariens 9526 DLE vs Simplicity 1060DLXE
Original Message   Sep 24, 2006 3:56 pm
Well, I'll be making a move on most likely one of these machines. My situation is such that I don't live near an area where I can witness these first hand, so I'm depending on stats and opinions. My driveway is maybe 100' long with 60% being 16'wide, 40% 2 car width. Lots of snow and drifts (near Vail, CO). The apparent advantages of the Ariens is: clearing width (26" vs 24"), impeller and auger (Ariens 2" wider), forward speeds (6 vs 5, minor issue?), standard hand warmers. I assume the Simplicity will be easier to manuever, based on weight and width (thinking of the wife). I don't know much about the turning differences. Why then should I consider the Simplicity over the Ariens (the Ariens is also $80 cheaper to my door). I'm guessing this was covered in another thread, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for any and all opinions. - Roy
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
nibbler

Re: Ariens 9526 DLE vs Simplicity 1060DLXE
Reply #1   Sep 26, 2006 10:28 am
I just checked the Simplicity web site and there is no 1060DLXE listed. There is a 10560E so I'm assuming that is the one you are talking about.

The Simplicity MAY have more power since it is listed as a 10.5HP as opposed to the Ariens 9.5HP. There is are several threads from last year that were started when someone noticed that the engine specs for the 9.5 and 10.5 machines were the same. Speculation is that the only difference between the machines is the sticker. I can't say for sure but there does seem to be a lot of well founded suspicion. either way they are both B&S Snow Intek OHV engines which are supposed to be very good. I bought one a year or so ago and it seems to work very well.

The Simplicity site isn't to good explaining what features each machine has but if I remember correctly the Simplicity machines have a remote axle release control while the Ariens has a true differential with a remote axle lock control. I lean slightly towards the differential but the axle release also seems to work well, at least in the show room where I've "tested" both.

The difference in clearing width probably isn't that significant for two reasons:
  1. With a 26" you can always limit yourself to a smaller swath if you want; and
  2. If you calculate the number of swaths to clear your driveway you will probably find that the difference is one swath which is not really significant.
Where you plan to store the beast may make the width more important is space is really tight.

To me handwarmers are a sales feature and nothing useful. I'm normally hot when I clear snow and if my hands are getting cold I use thicker mitts or even snowmobile gauntlets.

The number of speeds isn't really that important, I tend to run the machine at the fastest  speed I can without bogging down. This keeps the engine running properly and gets the job done as quickly as possible. The Simplicity does have the so called  "Power Boost" which is supposed to give you more power to the impeller when you "need" it. I don't know how significant that is. I just take a smaller swath. It is my understanding that the traction systems all use a friction disk to control the speed range, including forward and backward. The notches in the metal plate  just give you some locations to lock the speed control in. Change to a plate with one that has more or less notches and voila, new set of speeds. To me its more significant to find out what the lowest  and highest settings actually mean. I normally run either at the top speed ( most of the time) or the low speed ( for EOD) so I want a fast high speed and a slow low speed. You can also shift the ranges slightly by changing the diameter of the pulley on the engine but this can get tricky since you may have to get a new belt as well.

Try searching the site for safety advice, there are some good suggestions.

Main ones:

1. Read the fine manual ( a.k.a. RTFM) for both the blower and the engine;
  2. Use a clean out device to clear stuff from the chute and auger assembly;
  3. If you must put a hand into those areas make sure the throttle is "Off", the iginition switch is out, the spark plug is disconnected and the auger and and impeller are blocked with a 2x4. Then ask youself again whether you really need to do it.
  4. Wear good ear protection, I use ear plugs and helmet mounted ear muffs that also mounts a face shield ( normally used with a chainsaw). remeber ears don't recover from loud noise damage, it just accumulates until all you can hear are loud noises.

Maintenance items

1. Spare belts;
  2. Spark plug
  3. Auger shear bolts;
  4. Axle shear pins
  5. Correct oil and follow the schedule in the engine manual
  6. Check oil level before every startup, I blew an engine because I missed the oil leak one day.
Have fun its a blast.
nibbler

Reply #2   Sep 26, 2006 10:33 am
Whups.

Something else that I noticed, the Ariens has a 14" impeller while the Simplicity has a 12". This means that for a given impeller RPM, the Ariens will eject snow at a higer speed. To do the same job the Simplicity would have to have a higher impeller RPM which means the bearings would wear quicker.
rfield54

Reply #3   Sep 28, 2006 1:45 am
Thanks for the replies, nibbler. I got the (old or wrong) Simplicity model # from an outfit called Small Engine Parts Warehouse (SEPW.COM). Anyway, I went with the Ariens 9526 DLE through a company out of Denver (Almia). I should have it in two weeks. Thanks for all the advice. - Roy
nibbler

Reply #4   Sep 28, 2006 1:58 pm
Thats exactly what I've been lusting after. If my current machine ever wears out thats what I hope to get.
oakville

Reply #5   Sep 28, 2006 6:29 pm
i have last year's ariens 926DLE - this thing may be heavy, but it is incredibly well balanced.  your wife will have no problem with it.  it turns on a dime, even at speed - it's easier to throw around than a lawnmower.  and you'll be very pleased with the handwarmers too. 

it's built like a tank - rock solid and no issues.  i've not seen the simplicity up close, but i'd buy another one of these in a heartbeat.

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42