Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > String Trimmers....Help Needed Please

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tennisbumbishop

String Trimmers....Help Needed Please
Original Message   Sep 20, 2006 9:36 am
I'm needing to purchase a new string trimmer.  All of my string trimmers in the past have been "Wal-Mart" bought but I now think it's time that I purchase a quality string trimmer that will last a long time and be relatively maintainence free.

On a weekly to week basis I will be using it to edge my driveway.  Every other week I'll trim the grass falling over into my mulch.  About 3 times a year I'll be cutting thick weeds and brush in a 5'x50' ditch towards the back of my yard.  I will not be using it to get under any small trees or bushes.

Although it seems most people recommend a straight shaft, from handling them in the store it seems the curved shaft would be easy to work with for what I need.  The gentleman in the store said the straight shaft would be best because I'm so tall and it would be easier on my back.

I've narrowed down my choices to a couple models that can be found at a local 'Home Supply' store...local store with an excellent service department and very friendly/helpful people...definately deserve my business.

- Stihl FS-45 (curved shaft - although it doesn't seem as curved as other companies models, $140)

- Stihl FS-45 CE (curved shaft, easy start, $170)

- Stihl FS-55 R (straight shaft, $200)

- Stihl FS-55 CE (straight shaft, easy start, $230)

- Husquvarna 125C (curved shaft, $150)

- Husqvarna 125L (straight shaft, $200)

Can anyone give me some feedback/opinions/etc. on any of the above models?

Thank you for your help!

TennisBumBishop

Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
tennisbumbishop

Re: String Trimmers....Help Needed Please
Reply #2   Sep 20, 2006 7:50 pm
After reading up a little more and going to a local shop and handling the Stihl and Husqvarna models, I've decided to go with one of the Stihl models.  Now my only question is do I go with the $130 bent shaft model (FS 45) or the $200 straight shaft model (FS 55R).

Any suggestions?

TBB

nibbler

Reply #3   Sep 21, 2006 9:28 am
Try them both out and go with whatever "feels" best to you.

I have a straight shaft with a harness and it is very comfortable. You can adjust the balance point so its all a matter of taste from the comfort angle. Just make sure you have enough power and the correct accessories for the brush you were talking about. If its true bush then you need to be able to handle a brush blade, string won't "cut" it..
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #4   Sep 21, 2006 7:18 pm
I bought a Ryobi model #BC30 about 2 years ago and it came with a string trimmer and a brush cutter for about $110.00.Its also a straight shaft and gets the job done.

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #5   Sep 21, 2006 10:30 pm
hirschallan wrote:
I bought a Ryobi model #BC30 about 2 years ago and it came with a string trimmer and a brush cutter for about $110.00.Its also a straight shaft and gets the job done.

I was in and out of HD tonight and checked on the current price of the Ryobi #BC30 which is $159.00 now.My previous quote of $110.00 may not have been correct even for two years ago.Best of luck !!

tennisbumbishop

Reply #6   Sep 25, 2006 9:48 am
I'm going today to get the Stihl FS-45 for $129.99. I'm going with this model for a couple reasons: 1) It's the cheapest Stihl (great quality at a great price) and with a baby due in March I'm watching my dollars more closely, 2) I don't need to spend the extra $40 to get the easy start engine, and 3) The curved shaft just seems easier to handle for what I'm going to be using it for.

I appreciate all your help and advice.

TBB

Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42