Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS520 vs Toro 3650, why would I need a 2-stage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tds9

Honda HS520 vs Toro 3650, why would I need a 2-stage
Original Message   Nov 29, 2005 2:50 pm
I'm thinking about purchasing a snow blower this winter, and have been leaning towards either the Honda HS520A or the Toro CCR 3650 single stage blowers. I live in MA just west of Boston have a level 80' long 2 car wide driveway and a 50' brick walk way that I will be clearing. A neighbor had the Toro 3650 and last year and he was done in 1/3 the time of neighbors with bigger 2 stage blowers in snow falls of ~12" or less. This thing moved snow fast. Pulled itself along with the rubber impeller and looked like it would move snow as fast as he would let it run. And it cleared it right down the pavement. Moved slush that 2 stages leave laying. Never saw it work in the bigger snow storms but a neighbor said it took him a little longer than a 2-stage and he had to go over it twice when he didn’t blow it during the storm.. Should have asked him to try it out before he moved. I've done some reading around and am leading toward the Honda HS520 as some say it's 4 stroke has higher torque which helps in the heavier snow, and that the Toro 3650 2 stroke. Looking for comments/opinions on these blowers and my logic for buying one of these single stage blowers vs a 2 stage. - for my flat 80’ driveway it will clear it much faster than a 2 stage for snow 12” (probably upto 18”) deep or less (80+% of the storms), and I could blow during the storm or go over it twice for the 2 or so big storms per year - moves slush much better than a 2 stage - Much easier to maneuver (especially in the boxed in garage entrance I have) - Smaller and easier to store in the garage - Cleans to the pavement/brick walkway vs the 1” or so the 2 stage leaves - Cost: ~$600 vs ~$1200 for a decent 2 stage Open questions are how it will handle the plow pile at the end of the driveway (neighbor moved it with the toro but not sure how much work it was) and comments on the Honda vs Toro. Also looked at the Toro Snow Commander, but have been told that for my conditions the 3650 was a better bang for the buck. It would clear snow almost as fast and be $200+ cheaper and 40lb lighter.
Replies: 10 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
tds9

Re: Honda HS520 vs Toro 3650, why would I need a 2-stage
Reply #10   Jul 26, 2006 10:06 am
test
LouC

Re: Honda HS520 vs Toro 3650, why would I need a 2-stage
Reply #11   Jul 27, 2006 3:27 pm
I've had a Toro 3000GTS for about 7 winters here in Long Island NY. It has been a good machine. Our snowfall amounts are similar to yours. I think in that the only time you will have a hard time with a single is if you don't get to the end of driveway pile before it melts and freezes over, or if you get ice on top of snow that you can't get to. The pluses with a single are they are light, easy to manuver, take up much less room, and there is a lot less to go wrong. The 2 cycle engine is about as low maintenance as you can get. Just mix up your premix and use stabil in the fuel. That is really a must. If you want a 4 cycle single stage then go Honda. I think a 2 stroke puts out more power for equal weight than a 4 stroke. Remember you get a power stroke with each revolution of the crank, not every other as with a 4 stroke.  I'd get the best and most powerful single you can get. The only time I'd go for a two stage is if I had a gravel driveway, or lived where more than a foot of snow was a frequent occurance.
Replies: 10 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42